Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Calling kids stupid.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies
Last night I was at the store. I was standing in line and thefts were about three people ahead if me. This lady sends her son for butter. He was about the size of my seven year old. He came back with I Can't Believe Its Not Butter. This lady lost her mind. Grabbed his arm. Called him stupid and retarded. My 11 year old took the "butter" from the boy and went and got the right thing.

Then asks me not so quietly how kids are supposed to know things if they don't get taught. The lady shut up and glared at my kid.

But seriously. I felt so bad for this kid. Even when my kids make a dumb move I don't call them dumb or stupid or anything like that.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I hate that word, especially used in reference to children.
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Well..................it's not butter...and she asked for butter, sooooo...how dumb can you be?

lolol

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:01 AM
Hell I sent my ex to get butter and he came back with Country Crock.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Well..................it's not butter...and she asked for butter, sooooo...how dumb can you be?

lolol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:03 AM
I hate when people call kids stupid or bad it's a pet peeve of mine. So sad.
diamondprnces
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If you call a kid stupid enough they will start it believe it 

Hoppers33
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
A lot of people disagree with the way we talk in my household. I'm not offended by most things other people find to be disrespectful, but I will never call my kids stupid. They take that stuff to heart and I can't imagine making a kid feel like they aren't smart enough or good enough. Sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:14 AM
My parents called me stuid and my whole childhood and teens years i honestly thought i was a stupid person. It still affects my self esteem as of today
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:15 AM
Same here. I told my kid they were cheesy once and this lady got super offended. But in our house the word induces giggles.

Quoting Hoppers33: A lot of people disagree with the way we talk in my household. I'm not offended by most things other people find to be disrespectful, but I will never call my kids stupid. They take that stuff to heart and I can't imagine making a kid feel like they aren't smart enough or good enough. Sad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:20 AM
Same here. I wonder if they really don't realize how what they say sticks with you. I make a point to tell my daughter how smart and funny and beautiful she is every chance I get so I guess the upside is I know how not to raise my child.

Quoting Anonymous 3: My parents called me stuid and my whole childhood and teens years i honestly thought i was a stupid person. It still affects my self esteem as of today
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I will be doing the same with my daughter. I want her to will good about herself. I will never understand how some parents can make their child feel so shitty about themselves like my parents and yours. I remember i always thought i wasnt good enough, i easily gave up and got discourage. Still of today when i fail at something i feel like im just not good enough and stupid. Now that i have a child i cant imagine making your child feel that way. As a parent you should always want what is best for your child and make them feel happy and goood. I agree at least the upside is we will raise our children differently.

Quoting Anonymous 4: Same here. I wonder if they really don't realize how what they say sticks with you. I make a point to tell my daughter how smart and funny and beautiful she is every chance I get so I guess the upside is I know how not to raise my child.

Quoting Anonymous 3: My parents called me stuid and my whole childhood and teens years i honestly thought i was a stupid person. It still affects my self esteem as of today
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)