Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

FMLA or DISABILITY leave anyone have advice pls??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 31 Replies
After careful consideration I decided to go with my therapist advice and take a leave from work to focus on my treatment to somewhat escape any excess stress caused by my job. I was so hesitant because I can't afford to lose work without pay. Does anyone know what can be done to continue to be paid? Is it best I go under fmla? Or do I file for disability with my employer ? Or do I file disability with my state I just don't understand how this will help me mentally deal with my trial and stresses if now in stressed over income.. Thanks in advance
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:18 AM
I don't know what the guidelines are for mental health but you file with the state. FMLA only protects your job it doesn't pay you.
Good luck!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:19 AM

I am not sure how FMLA would apply or help you in this situation.  If your doctor recommends you take leave, you can apply for short term disability through your employer.  I don't believe you would be eligible for disability benefits through your state.

Mazie0723
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:21 AM
1 mom liked this
This

Quoting LAXmom21: I don't know what the guidelines are for mental health but you file with the state. FMLA only protects your job it doesn't pay you.
Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM
I would think you would utilize short term disability from your employer if it's available. That way you would still receive a portion of your pay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:23 AM
Thank you for your response. I have heard of short term disability through my employer as well and I guess I was also wondering if that is something I should hooting towards rather than fmla.. Is that paid?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I am not sure how FMLA would apply or help you in this situation.  If your doctor recommends you take leave, you can apply for short term disability through your employer.  I don't believe you would be eligible for disability benefits through your state.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:24 AM
Thank you for responding. So I can file for fmla to protect my job and then file for disability through my state so I have some income during the time off? Do you know how long that could typically take? Thank you again

Quoting LAXmom21: I don't know what the guidelines are for mental health but you file with the state. FMLA only protects your job it doesn't pay you.
Good luck!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Thank you for responding it sounds as though that may be the best option for me .. I want to get treated properly but I'm a single parent you know I just can't afford to not be paid

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would think you would utilize short term disability from your employer if it's available. That way you would still receive a portion of your pay.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:25 AM
Because every policy is different, you should really talk to you human resources department.
LyTe684
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Speak to your HR rep. That's your best bet.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:26 AM
Yes I definitely will Ithey just done open for another hour where I am and I am so stressed thinking of this I've been researching all night that I literally haven't slept yet

Quoting Anonymous 4: Because every policy is different, you should really talk to you human resources department.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN