Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm telling DS on the threat of death

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM
  • 31 Replies

Not to tell anybody at school he threw up last night. He only vomited because he chocked on a glass of water, which triggered his gag reflex, but the school won't care; any vomiting, for any reason is an automatic 48 hour exclusion. (Partly because of our family, the hypocrites)

Would you, or have you ever, gone against stupid school policies?

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momofthree0429
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:32 AM
Haha when my kids were in school and woke up sick in the AM, they got Mortin, Tylenol and went to school. They knew to not go to the nurse until it was considered a whole day for them. They both graduated with perfect attendance.

I would have done as you did.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:34 AM
What do you mean, because of your family?

Quoting tinybluemoon:

Not to tell anybody at school he threw up last night. He only vomited because he chocked on a glass of water, which triggered his gag reflex, but the school won't care; any vomiting, for any reason is an automatic 48 hour exclusion. (Partly because of our family, the hypocrites)

Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM
I did the same thing last spring. I took my kids to the fair on a Sunday and one of them vomited after a ride. Pretty sure he wasn't contagious.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:38 AM

I have a child with cancer, and when he was still attending regular school we asked if they could let us know if there were any illnesses making the rounds, so we could choose whether it was worth sending him or not. Not only did they do that, but they introduced a new, strict illness policy (which was not our intention in asking the original question). Even know DS hasn't been to school at all over the last year, the policy still stands. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: What do you mean, because of your family?
Quoting tinybluemoon:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:39 AM
Our school had a 48hr rule for vomiting and fevers. So any time ds was sick at school and they sent him home I kept him out of school for the additional 48hrs as per their policy.

Well by the end of 1st grade he missed 22 days if school and I was sent to truancy court. I explained the situation to the magistrate. Showed him the coordinating dates and Drs. notes.

The Magistrate did not care he told me I should have sent ds back to school the following day if he was feeling better which would be going against the school districts own rules. When I told him they should revise their policy he wasn't happy and I was hit with Truancy School fml!

Now I send them to school no matter how suck they are and let the school call me for an early pick up then it's back to school the next day.

I refuse to go to jail for following the schools policy I was told the next time I had to be seen in truancy court I would get jail time.
PoisonEyeV
by ☆ No Ragrets ☆ on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:40 AM

You shouldn't have even made it a big deal. Who cares if they find out he threw up...they'd give you a call and you could tell them the truth. Why send him with to school worrying or being cautious? Seems silly.

curious1145
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:45 AM
Telling him "on the threat of death," why so extreme? If it slips out, and he has to come home, what is the big deal? And it is teaching him to go against rules.

I know you're obviously exaggerating, but it seems in extremely poor taste to "joke" about death to a kid with cancer.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:48 AM

Because education is important and it is ridiculous to miss a day over something like gagging on a glass of water.

Different kid. If that one had to stay home every time he threw up, he would never go (not that he does ever go, but you get the point)

Quoting curious1145: Telling him "on the threat of death," why so extreme? If it slips out, and he has to come home, what is the big deal? And it is teaching him to go against rules. I know you're obviously exaggerating, but it seems in extremely poor taste to "joke" about death to a kid with cancer.

lilmama31709
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:52 AM
3 moms liked this
There's a difference between a kid throwing up because of a gag reflex and sending a child to school legitimately sick. Your kid isn't the only kid at school. You put a ton of other kids at risk. Especially those with compromised immune systems. Which makes you an asshole.

Quoting momofthree0429: Haha when my kids were in school and woke up sick in the AM, they got Mortin, Tylenol and went to school. They knew to not go to the nurse until it was considered a whole day for them. They both graduated with perfect attendance.

I would have done as you did.
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:55 AM

I send my daughter unless it's something that needs an antibiotic. She doesn't seem to get stomach bugs anymore. If she just has a cold, she goes to school. In our district, they can only miss 10 days with a doctor's note, unless there is a doctor's note, they can only miss 3. Sorry, but with those kind of policies, a person really can't keep their kid home because they have a cold, which means all of the kids end up with it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)