Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Sending a sick kid to school S/O

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
Say your kid woke up sick, fever and all, would you give them medicine and send them to school? What about if they threw up the night before?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AJsMom81507
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:56 AM

no

tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

Never to the fever and all.

Not as a general rule to the vomiting, but obviously I am today.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:59 AM

No. I would never do that to my poor child. Our school would just send them home anyway and would not let them back the next day (I had a friend not realize our school had a 24 hour policy and basically as soon as her son got to school he was sent home again...) 

I LOVE my school and am so grateful they take the health and safety of our kids seriously. 

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Hell no. Stuffy noses and sore throats are one thing, but fever and/or throwing up is where I draw the line.

However, I understand that I'm lucky to have a job where staying home with a feverish kid is excusable and its very easy for me to call out. I'm also lucky to be able to afford the missed work AND to have paid leave days to take if I have to. I really feel bad for the Moms who can't do that :(
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Nope. We figure out a way to keep them home.
AHmom103
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:01 AM

When my oldest daughter has a fever, it means she has an infection, so I keep her home and take her to the doctor. Or at least call and have them call in an antibiotic for her. If she's vomiting, I keep her home, unless I can pinpoint exactly what caused her to vomit, and it isn't an actual illness. My youngest isn't in school yet, but she doesn't get fevers without an infection either, so it will be the same for her.

owl0210
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:02 AM
No but I understand moms who have to work and may not have a support system.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:03 AM
Hell no!!!because other kids can get sick I think parents should be fine for sending there kids to school sick.
chairhead28
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:10 AM
If they have a fever 24hrs before school, as a general rule of thumb, I do not send them. When my kids get a cold, though, their coughs usually linger and stuffiness as well for weeks... I keep them home until they no longer have a fever and are feeling better. So while they may still SOUND sick, they're not contagious. My daughter started Kindergarden last Monday-she's home sick today. She's had a fever all weekend and sounds pathetic. She wanted to go to school today, but, I couldn't let her go. She doesn't have a fever now (but did yesterday around 5pm), so, she should be good for tomorrow.
DisabledVet
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:12 AM

I wouldn't send them to school because others can get sick. I'd take him/her to the doctor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN