Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being a SAHM isn't for everyone

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 58 Replies
I'm tired of hearing about how wonderful being a stay at home mom is. "Why should I have to work if my husband makes a good living" blah blah blah. Ugh. Yes, I was a sahm mom for 2 years and I really didn't enjoy it. There came a point where dd needed to be away from me and with other kids for at least a few days per week. I think we are both happier. I just can't believe how many women want to be stay at home moms in this day and age. Is it really necessary to be a sahm when your kids are in their teens?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:48 AM

To each their own.

corticosteroid
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Being a SAHM wasn't for me.  I tried it for a year after my first child was born and I nearly went insane.  My husband is much better suited to the stay-at-home gig.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM
I think each family should do what works best for them. I took time off to be a SAHM with each of my kids and I enjoyed it. By about the age of 2 I went back to work.
tinybluemoon
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM

I don't enjoy it either, but unfortunately it has been a necessity over the last two years. Can't wait to get back to work.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:50 AM
5 moms liked this
The title seems non judgemental and true....Then you had to ruin it.
incogNinja
by Whofflé on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM
It works for me. When they're all in school I will likely be doing something there.
balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Each family should do what is best for the family. If that means one parent stays home, good for them.

And as for teens, sometimes it's almost more important for a parent to be at home. Again, it doesn't apply to every family. But unsupervised teens can get into all sorts of trouble. Mine are fairly trustworthy, but who knows who might come on over for a few hours if they didn't know I'd be home within a half hour of coming home. I have a friend who actually had a sitter for her teens, and it was a blessing in disguise when the kids' friends came over drunk after school on more than one occasion.

CameraMum
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:53 AM
I'm also one of those moms who work and I really don't have too. I tried staying home, my house looking amazing but I was moody and going crazy.

Now I work full time, I'm happier, the kids are happier, hubby is happier and my house looks better than ever thanks to the lady I pay to scrub everything down and put crap away.
Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
I personally don't like being a SAHM. But I also refuse to send my kids to daycare. So I'm kinda stuck until DD is old enough for pre-k through the school district.
booaura
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM
It certainly isn't! I am currently a sahm because of my pregnancy, I had to quit my job. I'm miserable, not just from the pregnancy, but because I miss working. I can't wait until I can return to work. I don't have to work, all my money just goes into savings anyway, but I worked hard for my degree, I love my job, I love having a purpose and a life outside of my home. I'll be going back as soon as I can after delivery.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN