Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Was this teacher out of line? *ETA* Is missing 5 days really that big of a deal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 76 Replies
1 mom liked this

**EDIT**

First off, let me make it very clear that I understand school is very important, dd had perfect attendance last year. We have never taken missing school lightly.  I checked the schools policy on pre arranged absences and the student are allowed 5 days of pre-arranged absences a year. So technically I am following policy. 

However, I'm now considering leaving DD. Is missing 5 days of first grade really going to put her that far behind if I can obtain all or at least some of her school work from the teacher? 

DD is 7, and in 1st grade. We have to go out of town for a family reunion/memorial for an elderly relative who passed and is having their ashes spread. It's 800 miles away & in 2 weeks. 

I wrote letters to the principal and the teacher explaining she would be out that week and the day she would return to school, and sent them in today. 

Her teacher asked her, a 7 year old, "Why does this have to be during school?"

DD didn't know what to say, and why should she? I'm a little irritated, considering at the bottom I wrote, "Please let me know if I can provide any more information" and left my phone number and email address.

I'm considering sending an email, asking her to direct all questions to me and not my dd, and cc'ing the principal. 

Am I overreacting or would that be an appropriate response? *ETA* I'm not going to say anything, it's very possible she was just thinking out loud and I understand her being frustrated.**

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AllAboutAmaya
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM
5 moms liked this
She definitely shouldn't have asked your child and a death really isn't something people plan so its not like you could control it happening during school. I would talk to the teacher directly.
B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

The teacher was out of line, but unless the teacher frequently does such things, let it go.

grnhsegoddess
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:43 PM
4 moms liked this
It was stupid of her to ask that...it's not like a dying relative waits for a school break...
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this
She should not have asked your dd that. Sorry for your loss mama.
catcameback
by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM

She as out of line, but I'd just make a note  to yourself somewhere (in case it becomes an ongoing problem) and let it go.

JanineDeer
by Janine on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, did you say in the letter that it was for a funeral?  If she did not know it was for one,  I suppose it's normal to inquire.

lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this
Teacher is a dope. Let it go but keep listening to what your child says about her
SuckIt69
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM
4 moms liked this
"Sorry, Mrs. X, next time I'll tell grandma to plan her death during summer break."

:/
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I used the terms "Family gathering and memorial." Since it's not technically a funeral. Said family member actually passed a couple weeks ago. 

Quoting JanineDeer:

Well, did you say in the letter that it was for a funeral?  If she did not know it was for one,  I suppose it's normal to inquire.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 5:51 PM
You are over reacting. School is important at any and all ages. From the teachers perspective she will be gone for a week. You will hopefully go over all work with her that she will likely miss. But when she gets back she will still be behind, and now the teacher will have to help your daughter catch up but also help/keep the other 20 some students engaged. The teacher is upset/frustrated, can you blame them.

Yes, they should talk to you about the situation. Why must you be gone for a week?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN