Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Any Celiacs in here?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM
  • 17 Replies

My best friend received a celiac's diagnosis today.  I have been googling my butt off just so I know what's happening.  I want to be supportive and understanding so I thought you ladies could help!

1- She has been gluten free-ish for roughly six months.  For a while she would have gluten sometimes if the food was "worth it" and just deal with a stomach ache.  But has been free free for at least a month, maybe longer.  She is still having fairly regular pain, with the last two weeks being worse (which is why she finally went in for an actual diagnosis).  Is this normal?  Is there anything else she can cut out or is she just going to have to live with this being her new normal?

2- Does anyone have any advice for me?  How can I support her.  I am not going to shove Dr Google down her throat but is there anything I can do to be helpful?  Just shut up and enjoy my pasta out of her line of sight?

3- Any advice on really good gluten free foods?  She's tried some different gluten free alternatives and some have been great, and some have been AWFUL!  We had Nadia Cakes gluten free cupcakes yesterday and they were AMAZING. 

4- Any great recipes?  She's also vegetarian, so she now has twice as much stuff to check the labels for.  Any great ideas for when I have her family over?

Thanks in advance ladies!

by on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellly
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:16 PM

My son is gluten intolerant but not celiac.  There is gluten free pasta in most stores. Some Krogers have a really good gluten free section.  There is gluten in soy sauce but Tamari taste like soy sauce and that is also sold at Kroger. Costco has really good pricing on all purpose flour blends that are gluten free and substitue for baking very nicely. Gluten free sandwich bread isn't that great, good toasted but not soft for sandwiches. She will just have to read lables. Wish her well.

kellly
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:21 PM

http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-pecan-patties-211281 This is a really good pecan/oatmeal/tofu patty (i added sage and italian seasonings) Health Valley at Kroger carries a gf mushroom soup that I poured over it and served with mashed potatoes and peas. My very meat eating husband really liked them.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Quoting kellly:

http://www.food.com/recipe/delicious-pecan-patties-211281 This is a really good pecan/oatmeal/tofu patty (i added sage and italian seasonings) Health Valley at Kroger carries a gf mushroom soup that I poured over it and served with mashed potatoes and peas. My very meat eating husband really liked them.

Oooh that looks delicious, thank you

matofour
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Odds are, she has been eating gluten causing this stomach aches and doesn't realize it.
Gluten is hidden in many many things, so it's hard to detect.
It's going to just take time and support, you are being a great friend for even having any concern for her.
momasaurus420
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM
Stomach aches can be caused also by changing her diet. Make sure she's getting all the nutrients she needs, like fiber.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM
This is probably it. Food labels are insanely misleading, and there's about a hundred different names for gluten and wheat products. Sometimes, even if it doesn't have wheat on the label, it might have been made on equipment that makes other products containing wheat. Cross contamination is a big issue for some people.

The best way she can avoid it is to prepare everything at home from scratch.

Quoting matofour: Odds are, she has been eating gluten causing this stomach aches and doesn't realize it.
Gluten is hidden in many many things, so it's hard to detect.
It's going to just take time and support, you are being a great friend for even having any concern for her.
mommaponch
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Quoting momasaurus420: Stomach aches can be caused also by changing her diet. Make sure she's getting all the nutrients she needs, like fiber.

Yeah a friend of hers warned her about something she called gluten free whiplash.  Which she said was you are so worried about what doesn't have gluten that you forget to eat healthfully.  So you end up not healing like you should because your intestines don't like what you've swapped out the gluten for.

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I have a feeling that's what she'll be doing.  She also has an app on her phone that she can scan the barcode and it will say it has gluten, it is completely gluten free, or if it's mostly gluten free but can come across cross contamination.

Quoting Anonymous 1: This is probably it. Food labels are insanely misleading, and there's about a hundred different names for gluten and wheat products. Sometimes, even if it doesn't have wheat on the label, it might have been made on equipment that makes other products containing wheat. Cross contamination is a big issue for some people. The best way she can avoid it is to prepare everything at home from scratch.
Quoting matofour: Odds are, she has been eating gluten causing this stomach aches and doesn't realize it. Gluten is hidden in many many things, so it's hard to detect. It's going to just take time and support, you are being a great friend for even having any concern for her.

momasaurus420
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM
I have not heard of that before but that does make sense!

Quoting mommaponch:

Quoting momasaurus420: Stomach aches can be caused also by changing her diet. Make sure she's getting all the nutrients she needs, like fiber.

Yeah a friend of hers warned her about something she called gluten free whiplash.  Which she said was you are so worried about what doesn't have gluten that you forget to eat healthfully.  So you end up not healing like you should because your intestines don't like what you've swapped out the gluten for.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Aug. 26, 2014 at 11:17 PM
She's probably still eating gluten. Like most salad dressing has gluten in it. It's hidden everywhere.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN