Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Interracial relationships??

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

So here goes I am white and have dated outside my race one time well my family didn't take it to well. Of course I was also very young then too. I am currently talking to a man who isn't white and am wondering how to handle the situation if it goes to introduce to family status? How should I react to negativity?

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:25 PM
Ignore it.
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:26 PM
I'd mention it to them before you take him to meet them, if it comes to that.

I'd hate to show up with my s/o and be greeted with negativity and judgement.

Honestly, how important is your family's approval?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:28 PM

It's only important that they are respectful, but my only issue is how to react if they don't want them at their home for holidays etc.

Quoting DameDeLaMer: I'd mention it to them before you take him to meet them, if it comes to that. I'd hate to show up with my s/o and be greeted with negativity and judgement. Honestly, how important is your family's approval?

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I am just worried they won't even want him at thier house.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Ignore it.

Callielove01
by Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:30 PM
Don't. Introduce him as a friend if you go to family things together. Wait until it gets serious to tell family that you're together. Easy does it; intro as a friend, be seen together a few times, then tell them. My FAM is the same way and I married a Hispanic lol. If you still get negativity, gush on and on about how happy you are until they get sick of hearing it :)
DameDeLaMer
by (that girl) on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:31 PM
Then I'd honestly prepare him for what could possibly be a not so warm welcome. Ask him how he feels about it. But also let him know that how they feel won't influence your feelings for him. He should be understanding. If not, I'd think about the relationship again.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It's only important that they are respectful, but my only issue is how to react if they don't want them at their home for holidays etc.

Quoting DameDeLaMer: I'd mention it to them before you take him to meet them, if it comes to that.

I'd hate to show up with my s/o and be greeted with negativity and judgement.

Honestly, how important is your family's approval?

PogoPalOj
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Tell them to kiss your butt!  You are an adult and if this person makes you happy, they should be happy for you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:33 PM
I am white, my husband is mexican. At first some of my family members had problems with it but once they got to know him they fell in love with him. I think if we ever seperated they'd claim him instead of me:) My grandpa is now the only person left who seems to have a problem with it, I simply stopped talking to him for the most part. I will not put up with such ignorance and I certainly won't subject my husband to it.
mrsjksimmons
by Bronze Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Fuck family. You don't get to choose the family you're born into but you can choose your family as an adult. If they don't like it, they can go suck a lemon.

Mrs.Pedro
by Gold Member on Aug. 25, 2014 at 10:42 PM

How you handle it is really up to you... If you feel keeping our family around and happy is most important then you should think twice about being with him. For my husband it was easy... His family was respectful to me but not ABOUT me when talking to HIM and they just kept adding in other bs that was getting out of hand... So he no longer talks to them unless he absolutely must. He loves them, but he has too much love for me to let them be backhanded with me or anything. I didn't have to worry about that... My family was very accepting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)