Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DH wants to know why he's not making $300k a year

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 57 Replies

He read this article and started bitching about how he doesn't make enough money. We do live in San Mateo County. I talked to him about the difference between average salaries and median salaries. He still kept bitching. I looked up this article to show him. Yes, he kept bitching and bitching long enough for me to look up an article on my phone. The last time I found something that let me look up median salaries by region, it was for 2010, and said his median salary was in the top 38% for the metropolitan region. I know it was probably outdated, blah, blah, blah. We still make a wonderful income. He's only been a tech worker for five years. Five years. He graduated from college in the May 2008. His very first job the company closed only ten weeks after he started working there. It took forever for him to find  another job. When he did, it was for more  money than most people raise families on! Come on! I have the feeling people are going to accuse me of this being a brag post. But isn't that even more reason for him to be feeling blessed?! I remember how proud he sounded when he first called me and told me that he got a job offer out here. He called me from his cell, still in the building at the job interview, asked me to research schools in the area, and tell him which ones I wanted to be zoned for. He sounded so smug and self-satisfied. I asked him what he meant, and asked if he thought he'd get the job he was interviewing for. He said nonchalantly that "Oh, yeah" they'd made him an offer, and he'd accepted. So, he was going to move me there with him, and he needed me to tell him what neighborhood I wanted to move to, so he could get us an apartment. We were married four months later. I'm so proud of him. He's more than proud enough of himself. His grandparents are poor. Ridiculously poor. They're in a forgettable, flyover region of Missouri. They talk about him like he's a god or something. When we get together, it's automatically assumed we're going to pay for everyone, and they pick out the most expensive restaurants they can think of. To everyone else in his family, he's made it- he has it all! I know spouses are supposed to be supportive, but I just don't have it in me anymore. His first job out here, he was happy for a full year. Then he started bitching all the time. So he got a job making more money and almost immediately started bitching. So, he got another job, and started bitching after three months. So he got another job making more money, and started bitching after probably six months or so. Now he's interviewing again so he can be a serial job hopper, and he's just bitching and bitching that no one's giving him a big enough salary. He bitches that he's been doing this so long, and he's still not a senior developer, like the other coworkers who were hired at that first company at the same time as him. He bitches, company after company, about how he's unappreciated and he always criticizes every company he works for so much. So much!!! Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch. He's so negative and ungrateful!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Vindictive421
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM
3 moms liked this
Ok it sounds like that man is Never going to be happy.... I don't know if I could be with someone so negative! Who only valued life by how much money he's making.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2014 at 4:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry this is so long. This is definitely a confession. I've held this in, and had to bust it all out on an MC post.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:01 AM
The job hopping would irritate me to no end. Sorry he's a whiney bitch.
Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:02 AM
My dh has three degrees including an MBA, has worked since he was 15 and is currently making about $18,000 a year even though on paper he supposedly qualifies for much more. He doesn't complain. He works hard at his current job and keeps a lookout for jobs with better advancement and pay opportunities.

Maybe your husband should do more of that instead of bitching about not making enough money. You're only worth what someone is willing to pay you, regardless of how "qualified" you are to make more. I couldn't stand to live with someone that negative and whiney.
Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:04 AM
4 moms liked this
Job hopping also isn't good for your resume, future references and reputation in general. It could prevent you from being hired at some point if they learn you've jumped around a lot and are never satisfied. He's digging his own grave, professionally speaking.

Quoting mattiehatter: The job hopping would irritate me to no end. Sorry he's a whiney bitch.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:11 AM

It would matter in other areas, like Texas or even Washington state. But out here, it's pretty normal to only stay at a company for a year or so. For one thing, the companies are constantly closing or getting swallowed by other companies. It might be different if the companies he hopped from job to job with were Facebook, Google, or something of that ilk. But even an employee known for loyalty would look like a job hopper, on his resume, if he stayed with his original start-up of hire through all the times it was bought out or merged with other companies.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: Job hopping also isn't good for your resume, future references and reputation in general. It could prevent you from being hired at some point if they learn you've jumped around a lot and are never satisfied. He's digging his own grave, professionally speaking.
Quoting mattiehatter: The job hopping would irritate me to no end. Sorry he's a whiney bitch.

Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:14 AM
That's not what you described in your post. The original post paints a picture of a restless, self-entitled person who complains about every job and keeps hopping over the next fence searching for greener grass.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

It would matter in other areas, like Texas or even Washington state. But out here, it's pretty normal to only stay at a company for a year or so. For one thing, the companies are constantly closing or getting swallowed by other companies. It might be different if the companies he hopped from job to job with were Facebook, Google, or something of that ilk. But even an employee known for loyalty would look like a job hopper, on his resume, if he stayed with his original start-up of hire through all the times it was bought out or merged with other companies.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: Job hopping also isn't good for your resume, future references and reputation in general. It could prevent you from being hired at some point if they learn you've jumped around a lot and are never satisfied. He's digging his own grave, professionally speaking.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:18 AM

Yes, he's a restless, self-entitled arrogant ass. That is what I described in my post. That still doesn't change that out here it doesn't matter, professionally, if you are a job hopper. That maybe it might matter if you hopped from job to job at the major hubs, but it definitely won't matter if you are going from job to job at lesser known companies, because those companies go through so many manifestations of their own.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: That's not what you described in your post. The original post paints a picture of a restless, self-entitled person who complains about every job and keeps hopping over the next fence searching for greener grass.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Dude...paragraphs...use them.
Yellow_Lileigh
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 5:24 AM
I've lived in cities and states all over the country and I've never lived any place where jumping from job to job, regardless of the reason, was anything but a negative when searching for a new position.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Yes, he's a restless, self-entitled arrogant ass. That is what I described in my post. That still doesn't change that out here it doesn't matter, professionally, if you are a job hopper. That maybe it might matter if you hopped from job to job at the major hubs, but it definitely won't matter if you are going from job to job at lesser known companies, because those companies go through so many manifestations of their own.

Quoting Yellow_Lileigh: That's not what you described in your post. The original post paints a picture of a restless, self-entitled person who complains about every job and keeps hopping over the next fence searching for greener grass.
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)