Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Irritated with the school.. would you fight this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 322 Replies
6 moms liked this

GOt this note from DS school today. Now granted there is nothing in the handbook about this. I looked several times. THe wording of the note is what bothers me. It should say students. Even my VERY conservative father agreed. THis is gender discrimination.

Photo

I purposely left off the school information and my childs because I dont want anyone knowing that information. too many wack attacks online.

Would yall fight this? I dont think its ok. He has a very small earring that he has had since he was 1.

Oldest DS had one too but CHOSE to take it out when he was 4. So i never went through this with him. youngest ds loves his earring. I think its bull crap. IF GIRLS can wear earrings boys should be able to. They do NOT define sexuality.

UPDATE: This morning after drop off I went to the office. The nurse was not avalible. But the lady said I could speak to the AP. I stood to wait and I could hear her on the phone with another parent about the SAME ISSUE! When she got off the phone i calmly introduced my self. I expalined to her my concern and that I hadnt seen anything in the dress code or online regarding this. She explained that they haventhanded out official handbooks yet, but showed me the copy from last year (will post pic when i get home) and it said No earrings under boy dress code.  Handbooks will come out nest week. This is our first year at this school. It is a charter for those who keep asking.  I asked her the reasoning behind this and she said she had no idea, the policy had been in place for years. She didnt make it just enforced it. I asked her if she thought ths it was bit stereo typical and her response was that her opinion on the matter was irreleavent. This is high rated school and so far I am impressed I dont want to do anything to rock the boat. However she did suggest to me that if i had concerns or wanted to see changes I could get involved with the PTA. I may try to do that. I may also get with other parents and maybe start a petition on this matter. There is strenght in numbers and maybe if enough of us make a valid point, there will be postive changes.

For now we will just be taking it out each morning and putting it in afterschool. DS cried at first (he loves his earring) But i told him i would save it in his backpack and he was OK with that. He saw his teacher and friends and went to class and said nothing more.

This is not so much about the earring but rather overcoming gender stereo types. Earrings should either be allowed or disallowed. Gender shouldnt play a part in it. This is not 1943 anymore. Alot of things have changed.

I will update as needed.

Eta: this is not a post about the decision to my pierce my sons ear. That decision is made. Not askin for.opinions on that so stuff it. Thanks
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
6 moms liked this
That's the rule at a lot of schools. What's the problem?
catiejs
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM
15 moms liked this
I would say that is gender discrimination IMO.
morrigan914
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:00 PM
3 moms liked this
I'd fight it, it's sexual discrimination
mlmynm81
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I think thats gender discrimination and if its not a part of the dress code, I would fight it.

catiejs
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
If they said earrings not allowed for ALL students that is one thing, and is adhere to it. But only males? Granted I won't pierce my kids until/if they ask and understand.
rockinmomto2
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
8 moms liked this

If it's not in the handbook, I'd tell her to shove it and I'd complain to administration.

purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this

damn straight I would fight it

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Is it a public school?
Gardeningmom4
by Ruby Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Fight it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 26, 2014 at 7:03 PM

if there is a rule about not wearing it- then okay. if there is nothing about it  then yes you need to talk to the principal about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)