Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My son almost made me cry in the store today

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
  • 19 Replies
2 moms liked this

School starts for DS next Tuesday.  For the past several weeks I've only been picking up a couple items on his back to school list each time I went grocery shopping.  I picked up the last couple things today; spiral notebooks and pocket folders.

Now, I try to encourage my kids to just like what they like, regardless of gender roles.  DS has decided he really likes My Little Pony.  Not a big deal to me.  DD pointed out a MLP notebook to DS and I asked him if he wanted it.  He thought about it for a moment, but decided to get Ninja Turtles instead.  After I put it in the cart, he tells me that the reason he chose to get Ninja Turtles was because he didn't want other people to laugh at him if he took the MLP notebook to school.  I got down on his level and told him that he is allowed to like what he likes and that he shouldn't care what other people think, say, or do, but to live in a way that makes him happy.  I then grabbed the MLP notebook and told him I would get it for him and that he could choose to take it to school with him or that we would keep it in the house instead.  You should have seen his eyes light up when I grabbed it off the shelf!

It just makes me really sad that he feels so much pressure already at 6 years old.  The way I remember school, the kids didn't start getting mean until about second grade; before that, everybody liked everybody and was nice no matter what.  I just wish my kid felt a little more confidence in himself to feel comfortable taking what he likes with him to school.

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
booaura
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:56 PM
That is so sad :( It is awful what children do to each other, and what they have to go through.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Good for you. I would tell him the same thing.
Mom-to-2kids
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Awww:) I'm so glad to hear when parents are supportive. For the record my son LOVES MLP too:)
Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 27, 2014 at 12:59 PM
That really is depressing. Sorry momma. I hope he grows up to be a very confident and considerate man. The kids would probably definitely tease him. All it takes is one to start it and the rest follow the flock. You did the right thing though :)
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Its so sad that children that young worry about others judging them.

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Trust me, I completely understand all about how kids teasing works.  I was a complete social outcast from 4th grade on.

Quoting Cocomicah: That really is depressing. Sorry momma. I hope he grows up to be a very confident and considerate man. The kids would probably definitely tease him. All it takes is one to start it and the rest follow the flock. You did the right thing though :)

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Poor kiddo.

You handled it well, Momma.
My3LuVs83
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM
So sad.. I on the contrary loved tmnt but that is how it is nowadays. I tell ds how he never needs to feel like he has to keep up with the rest or join in on things he doesn't agree with. I let him be himself and teach him to respect others.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cocomicah
by time lord on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:11 PM
I would have been your friend! We could have been outcast together lol. But seriously good luck with your son. He seems like a smart boy. It takes intelligence to rationale and to give up something that he wanted.

Quoting ncbirdie:

Trust me, I completely understand all about how kids teasing works.  I was a complete social outcast from 4th grade on.

Quoting Cocomicah: That really is depressing. Sorry momma. I hope he grows up to be a very confident and considerate man. The kids would probably definitely tease him. All it takes is one to start it and the rest follow the flock. You did the right thing though :)

ncbirdie
by Platinum Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM

He likes TMNT as well, so I didn't think too much about it when he first made the decision.  So, right now he has borth, and if he feels brave enough he can take the MLP to school as well.

Quoting My3LuVs83: So sad.. I on the contrary loved tmnt but that is how it is nowadays. I tell ds how he never needs to feel like he has to keep up with the rest or join in on things he doesn't agree with. I let him be himself and teach him to respect others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)