Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What would you pay for this? (Childcare)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies
I'm bouncing around ideas to simplify our childcare arrangement and I would love some input.

Currently we have access to a great daycare with a deal through my husbands work. We get up to 15 days per calendar year for a total cost of $350.

We will need approximately 2 days covered each week, for a total of 104 days per year, max.

The problem is that the days and hours change each week, so it is hard for us to register her for a regular daycare. I've been thinking of looking into a private caregiver or nanny situation.

My question is: how much would you offer (or accept if you were the caregiver) for two irregularly scheduled days per week? They would be approximately 10 hour days and would start as early as 6:15am.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:17 PM
That's hard. Even licensed Childcare homes have limits on the number of children they can take so the irregular days would actually be taking up 1 full time slot (since no one else could be scheduled to fill in your child's off days). You might be able to find someone just starting off that needs clients.

As far as rate that really is area dependent. In my area 20-25 per day per child is average. In other areas of the country it can go up to 55$ per day.
AmiJanell
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:22 PM

We use a private in-home daycare that is willing to accommodate our changing schedule... we pay $35/day per kid... no matter how many hours they are there. Some days it's 8 hours, some days it's 2 hours. 

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I would want $40/day with the schedule at least a week in advance.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM
$35 per day
Amy0317
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM

Currently my son is on a 3 day a week schedule.  It's consistent, but I've seen other kids in the daycare switch around days and do crazy things.  We use an in-home provider.  They're usually easier to work with as far as scheduling woes.  I'm in California, so daycare can be pretty expensive out here.  I know you can expect to pay anywhere from $30-$50 a day.  We got SUPER lucky and found someone who is $25 a day for private because she mostly sees the state assisted Beanstock kids who pay her more.  But she also has a friend, who we had to use when she took a vacation, and she only charged $30/day.  She only has privately paying kids.  

We love the in-home because it seems like they get more consistent and personalized attention.  It's like having a second family for my son.  I'd say go interview a few places and see how you feel from there.

Good luck!

2pink1blue
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM

None of the good (honest, loving and relaible) nannies that worked for us could/would work irregular days. They were a bit more flexible on the hours, especially if it was 8+ hours per day but if I wanted them two days a week they had to be the same two days.  Most nannies that can work for you "part time" have to work for other families "part time" to fill up their week.  Even if you found someone who had full availability right now, they will eventually find more work and other families won't work with her and your irregular schedule.

I think you'd have to find a "drop in" type of center or someone who is just starting to build a client base.

Not sure how much nannies charge in your area but ours have always been paid (for the last 10 years) $18-$25 per hour depending on the individual, her extra household duties and the number of kids.

EvilQueenMommy
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:34 PM

In really depends on your area. In higher costs of living the prices are higher. In my area, you can probably find $20 a day, but in others, like they've said 35-40

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2: That's hard. Even licensed Childcare homes have limits on the number of children they can take so the irregular days would actually be taking up 1 full time slot (since no one else could be scheduled to fill in your child's off days). You might be able to find someone just starting off that needs clients. As far as rate that really is area dependent. In my area 20-25 per day per child is average. In other areas of the country it can go up to 55$ per day.

Yup, you are definitely correct about it being the same as taking up a full-time spot. I should have mentioned that the private home option would actually be with a friend as opposed to a licensed day home. Someone we trust implicitly and who is looking to make a few extra bucks while she's staying at home with her kids. 

I am not looking to get a steal of a deal or anything, so I was thinking of offering about $50/day based on 2 10 hour days a week. Knowing that some weeks would be more than 20 hours and some weeks would be fewer. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Probably 40 bucks a day.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Quoting 2pink1blue:

None of the good (honest, loving and relaible) nannies that worked for us could/would work irregular days. They were a bit more flexible on the hours, especially if it was 8+ hours per day but if I wanted them two days a week they had to be the same two days.  Most nannies that can work for you "part time" have to work for other families "part time" to fill up their week.  Even if you found someone who had full availability right now, they will eventually find more work and other families won't work with her and your irregular schedule.

I think you'd have to find a "drop in" type of center or someone who is just starting to build a client base.

Not sure how much nannies charge in your area but ours have always been paid (for the last 10 years) $18-$25 per hour depending on the individual, her extra household duties and the number of kids.

I work as a nanny for a family with irregular hours and days, and I know I'm as rare as a unicorn. lol. I will be able to bring our daughter with me when I really need to, but honestly, a six month old is really incompatible with the amount of driving and activities I do with the kids at work.

I'm sure it would be extremely difficult for us to find someone that I both like and trust and who can work part time, very irregular hours. I should have mentioned that the private home option would actually be with a friend as opposed to a licensed day home. Someone we trust implicitly and who is looking to make a few extra bucks while she's staying at home with her kids. 

I am not looking to get a steal of a deal or anything, so I was thinking of offering about $50/day based on two, 10 hour days a week. Knowing that some weeks would be more than 20 hours and some weeks would be fewer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)