Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Yep. My dd's not spending THAT much time on homework.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 327 Replies
1 mom liked this
I'm tired of it. Just exhausted. I've made up my mind that my dd will not be spending the 3.5 to 4.5 hours a night doing homework. It's got to stop.

Yesterday she cried all the way home because the teacher kept her in from both recesses ( she is in 4th grade) to do ixl math ( a website for math practice).

She also had to give up 'free time' in class to do science work and Spanish. Kids usually spend this time sitting quietly reading and/or having a snack. Monday was like that too.

Then she had 3 math work sheets, 1 science worksheet, she had to read a book, practice Spanish and spelling, do math facts and write the spelling words she missed 20 times each ( she missed 11 so it took a while)

After all that she is supposed to do the assigned section on ixl. It can take anywhere from 10 minutes to a couple of hours. Each time you miss a question it adds more questions so you can get buried fast.

She did homeowner from 3:15 to 6:30. Then we ate dinner and she had to do ixl after. I cut her off after a half hour. I told her she had to read,knit or watch tv for 30 minutes, basically do something relaxing before getting ready for bed.

My dd is dyslexic. Work takes her longer and it's a lot more work for her than for others. She gets exhausted from the hard work she puts forth. From now on we are setting time limits. I don't care if she gets it done or not. She always works hard, she is always doing her very best. She's a perfectionist and gets so frustrated with all she has to do and redo. I'm going to tell her she will work on each subject for 1/2 an hour max. That way she will get done in an hour or two.

She has wanted to play an instrument for years and has wanted to play a sport. Well, due to the time it takes to finish her homework tree is no time for extras. She is missing out on her childhood, missing having fun with her peers. So I signed her up for orchestra and she will learn the violin. If she doesn't like it and wants to stop after a few months that's fine, but I want her to have the experience she's been begging for. I also signed her up for basketball because all her friends joined the team. If she doesn't like that she can stop after a while too. But she's been asking for a long time and she deserves to have fun and be a kid!

I'm going to meet with her teacher and discuss this of course but I don't give a monkey fart if she disapproves. They aren't doing anything to help her learn in a way she can. I'm doing all that at home. There are no IEP's or 504 plans for kids with dyslexia in my state. They just get pulled from class now and then for 'help' that is just a slower version of what they are already doing. It doesn't help dd, in fact it makes her grades worse. I pull her from the help and her grades go up a full letter. It's exasperating.

What would you do in my situation? I don't want to make it sound like I don't care about her education. I do VERY much. I spend 4-6 hours a day helping her, teaching her and looking up ways to help her work with and around her dyslexia.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this
My lil sister in high school doesn't even get that much homework
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:26 PM
59 moms liked this

504 plans and IEPs are FEDERAL education laws, no state can just decide that they are not going to do them for an educational diagnosis

I would be raising hell

SC_MomofTeens
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:27 PM
8 moms liked this
Instead of music, why don't you pay for a tutor to help with the dyslexia?
wamom223
by Gold Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
4 moms liked this

I would look into online school or homeschooling with a tutor.  That is way too much time working and not enough play.  In our house education is a huge priority and my son doesn't even start kindergarten for 2 weeks and even I could not condone that much.  Good job following your gut mom.

romalove
by SakePrincess on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
10 moms liked this

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

504 plans and IEPs are FEDERAL education laws, no state can just decide that they are not going to do them for an educational diagnosis

I would be raising hell

This

Get an advocate for your daughter, she needs one.  Contact learning disability groups in your area for assistance in getting her to someone who can get her diagnosed in a way that will force the school to get her special education help.

You can also contact a lawyer, who will also help.

Good luck mama.  It's hard to have a child with a learning disability, but you have to be her first advocate, by getting her advocates who know the law and can really help.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Indiana does not recognize dyslexia as a learning disability. Even of you have an official diagnosis they will just get labeled as ' learning disabled' in general and put in a general special education class. None of the general special ed techniques work that great on kids with dyslexia. All they do is slow things down in that class. It makes dd's grades worse because she misses instructions from regular class and has to do work for both her 'help' class and her regular class.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

I would be raising hell

fivekids2220
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:31 PM
8 moms liked this

My 10 year old son is very bright, but processes verrrry slowly. I finally realized that 4 hours a night was frustrating for him and for me.  Now I homeschool him, the whole day takes maybe four hours or less, he has about an hour of reading and whatnot to do as homework, and we are both happier.  It's not for everyone, but it has worked for us....

Leissaintexas
by Ruby Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:32 PM
17 moms liked this
If you're already doing that much work with her, why don't you skip the middleman and homeschool? She could work at her own pace and get the exact learning method to meet her needs.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this
I talked to both 3rd and 4th grade teachers about my dd's homework. Both were shocked to hear how long homework took. Your dd's teacher probably doesn't realize either.
tanyainmizzou
by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Helicopter parent. Stat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN