Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever been sued?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 84 Replies

Today in the mail there was a notice of a certified letter to be picked up at the post office. The sender is the county that I last lived in. While I lived in that county, I had nothing in my name or bills or anything at all. I have no debt.

I was in a car accident two years ago and that is the only thing that I can think of; is that I am being sued for damages. It was a no fault state and of course I do not feel like the accident was my fault so I will probably fight it if I am being sued. I haven't heard anything about this accident in over two years. I just dont know what else it could be. 

My questions are: 

1. I am not even in that state anymore and am not sure if I can make it back to that state to go to court. Do I have to appear? 

2. If found at fault for this accident, I have no job, no car, no property, and not even a checking account. Obviously I would not have the money up front, so would they bill me to it? I have nothing they can take or collect. 

3. Are you treated like a criminal in civil court? I know that I can't be put into jail for a civil issue, but will they be mean to me because I am the defendant? 

I hope this is not what it is at all. I can pick up my letter tomorrow.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:56 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM
Yes I've been sued. Old credit card debt. I represented myself and won. First things first....... Find out what the letter is. It may not be what you're expecting at all.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:01 PM
I have no idea. Good luck with whatever it is.
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
And no, I've never been sued.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
1 mom liked this

First of all don't jump to conclusions. Wait and see what it is all about then if necessary stress about it. lol

Bwanna12Bree
by Silver Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes I've been sued. Old credit card debt. I represented myself and won. First things first....... Find out what the letter is. It may not be what you're expecting at all.
how did you win?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM
I was sued for illegally downloading music. I settled out of court before they had my name (only my IP address) it was for a fraction of what they wanted of i went to court.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:03 PM

There just isn't anything else that it could possibly be. I only lived in that county for a short time, I never even received mail there. How do they collect the money if you lose? I know they garnish, but I have nothing to garnish right now. Did they all treat you like a criminal? The statute of limitations ran out on the 19th of this month to file a lawsuit, so they might have done it now. I don't know why they would wait so long and I literally never heard anything more about the accident after our car was paid for.

Quoting Anonymous 2: Yes I've been sued. Old credit card debt. I represented myself and won. First things first....... Find out what the letter is. It may not be what you're expecting at all.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:05 PM

I am freaking out! There just isn't anything else it could be. I've never gotten a certified letter, but they are never good news.

Quoting Anonymous 3:

First of all don't jump to conclusions. Wait and see what it is all about then if necessary stress about it. lol

Just.Blow
by Tonia on Aug. 27, 2014 at 4:06 PM

You think you've drunk the poison, even before you've taken a drink.  

It must be awful to live in a paranoid filled bubble. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)