Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Taking DS to the zoo and park during school hours?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM
  • 131 Replies

DS has school until 11:45am, he's in grade 4.  He is homeschooled from 12:30-2:45 

Would it be unreasonable to take him to the zoo/park/beach/hiking ect...  On fridays when he gets home mainstream school? 

He won't be taking outdoor recess or lunch hour, or gym.  I worry about his physical excercise and just who wants to be cooped up studying always?

Would you do it?

How would you incorporate some outdoor time? (I'll have to teach 2 academic subjects, life skills, and physical therapy in that short 2hours he's home). *home studying.  Obviously he is home the rest of the day as well. But those 2 hours are for school*

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this

why is he in regular school part time and homeschool part time?

LoveMyBug2013
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM
4 moms liked this

I would say IF (and only if) he gets all of his academic subjects done, then Friday after his public school he can do a field trip.  Try to incorporate some learning into it--have a worksheet for the zoo, etc.

Also, why can't he do physical exercise/outdoor time from 2:45 until dinner time?  If he were in school all day he would only get about a half hour of it anyway.

suzanneyea
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I went to the zoo yesterday. There is no way that can be a learning experience for anyone.

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM
4 moms liked this

Definitely.  Those are educational experiences when done properly and even if they weren't I would still do it.  Kids in public schools get field trips and fun assemblies, why should homeschoolers be all work?

We homeschool and next Tuesday we're taking a day to go to the beach.

choaspartyof4
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM
This

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

SitaStJames
by *Sita* on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:40 AM

learniing experience would be him learning all about the animals that are there. I dont see an issue with it myself.

DrunkenFaeGirl
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM
14 moms liked this

Quoting suzanneyea:

I went to the zoo yesterday. There is no way that can be a learning experience for anyone.

Really?  You can't figure out how to teach your child about animals,  conservation, ecology, biology, the life cycle etc while at the zoo or were you being sarcastic?

catcameback
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this

It's a long story, but this is a temportary solution until a placement in the catholic board is found.

Due to budget cuts, a lot of autistic kids were dumped into the public boards and several autism schools were closed.  Normally, there is 6months to transition one kid into the public boards.  This year, there was one week and 240 students.  

The catholic board's autism team is getting him a placement asap, but we need to have an iprc meeting, make a new iep, find the placement.  Keep in mind, there are 240 students ALL needing this at the same time, so things are a bit backed up.

In the meantime, he can't just not go to school, so it was decided he would go to mainstream classes (not ideal for him) with a cyw in class until lunch, and then continue his studies at home in a more relaxed environment so he doesn't get stressed and overwhelmed.

that's the short version lol

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Sure i can be. Reading all the signs about the different animals has a lot of learning. Plus I dont know about other zoo's, but ours has shows and stuff with specific animals that gives you more info about them. Then you can get a zoo key (plastic key with and animal on top), find all the "locks" around the zoo to put it in and it gives you even more info about the animals.

Quoting suzanneyea:

the.B.karma
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Short two hours he is home? So where does he go after you homeschool him? This is all weird.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)