Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What does your child learn from sports?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 51 Replies

Especially those with older kids, who have maybe gone through the youth sports thing.

But also those in the throws of it.

What are the things your kids learn and take away from their your sports that make them an invaluable life experience. 

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LAXmom21
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

teamwork

discipline

responsibility

how to lose and how to win

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
Well said.

Quoting LAXmom21:

teamwork

discipline

responsibility

KristaP13
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Teamwork, how to take direction under stressful circumstances, discipline, good sportsmanship, I'm sure there are more, but I'm only on cup of coffee #1.

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
My boys practice Tae Kwon Do. I think they have learned healthy competition, knowing to win and to loose and value their best effort. It's not a team sport, but they do represent their institution in competition, so that does make them feel part of a "team" in some way.
Specifically for their sport, they're learning discipline and control over their bodies.
MrsCountryMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
Teamwork discipline and how to not be a sore looser.
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yep

Also, how to take care of their bodies.  How to get along with people that you may not really like.

Lots of stuff.

Quoting LAXmom21:

teamwork

discipline

responsibility

mom1st2three
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I agree!

Quoting LAXmom21:

teamwork

discipline

responsibility

luvmy2gurlz0405
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM

My 11 year old DD plays travel softball, she has been playing for about 3 years. I asked her this same question not too long ago and this was her answer: 1). You have to work for what you want, you can't just expect things because YOU think you should get it. You have to play better than the player you were yesterday. 2) You don't have to like everyone on your team, but you have to respect them and play as a team regardless. 3) Sometime people want to see you fail, but you have to use that for determination 3) you have to make sacrifices, choose whats important to you 4) and its perfectly fine to throw like a girl :)

143myboys9496
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:50 AM

This, and unfortunately there are assholes in this world. While I'm not against my kids learning that lesson, I think 10 is too young..JMO. 

My kids have had some hum-dingers for coaches. One would literally have tantrums, (jumping up and down) if the kids missed a ball in play. My yds stopped playing because of an assistant coach that told them they played like girls and was ashamed to be their coach.

You wanna take that attitude with YOUR kid, whatever, don't fucking pull that shit on MINE.

Quoting LAXmom21:

teamwork

discipline

responsibility

B1Bomber
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:52 AM

Everything the PPs said, plus nutrition, hand-eye coordination, time management, how to have non-electronic fun, and how to problem solve in minute-to-minute situations.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN