Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

should the child be punished for the moms actions?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM
  • 22 Replies

Mobile Photo

A 4-year-old child was expelled from a Florida school because of a message his mom posted on her Facebook page.

Ashley Habat told Heather Leigh of WJXT-TV that she and her son, Will, were running late for picture day at Sonshine Christian Academy in Callahan, FL.

"The administrator of the preschool checking him in, she's like 'Well, it's picture day Will. Are you excited?'" said Habat. "You know he, of course, just went on to class, but I had mentioned that they didn't give enough notice, and she's like, 'Well, we put it in his folder last week.'"

A frustrated Habat went to Facebook and posted the following:

Why is that every single day, there is something new I dislikes about Will's school? Are my standards really too high, or are people working in the education field really just that ignorant.

Although Habat said it was a private post to her friends only, she also tagged the school in the post.

The school called her the next morning and asked her to stop by the campus.

"They just felt like we weren't the right fit of parent relationship with the school and they didn't want him as a student anymore," Habat said. "He had done nothing wrong."

According to the letter of dismissal, it says "Your relationship with Sonshine did not get off to a very good start the first day of school...you utilized social media to call into question not only the integrity, but the intelligence of our staff. These actions are also consistent with sowing discord, which is spoken of in the handbook  you signed."

Habat said she was in shock. "Why would you expel a 4-year-old over something his mom posts on her private Facebook page only people on her friend's list can see?"
by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this

I can understand it, she ( the mom) has decided she can run the school better then the school officals , and they are tired of her. They no longer wish to deal with her, so her child needs to find another school.

RedMom755
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I do not think the child should be punished.

That having been said the mother made it clear that she was not happy with the care so she should have stepped up instead of spoke out

Kaelaasmom
by Katie on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this
She should have thought of her kid before she posted that. As soon as she tagged the school, it was no longer private.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe the intent was to punish the little boy. The intent was to get rid of his mother who was becoming a liability to the school. It's a private school anyway. The public schools may have to put up with that, but not a private school.
Spam72
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM
I think it's acceptable.
KristaP13
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

In this case, yes. The school would not have been able to communicate openly or get the respect needed from the parent. It's a private school, they take parent/school relationship into consideration and they have the right to deny someone an education there based on whatever reasons they want. Especially when that reason is a parent trashing the school and it's employees on the schools public Facebook page. 

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM
If she does not like the sch n chooses to post about it n tagged the sch then why does she want her son to continue to go. The sch has every right to sever all ties.
lucky2Beeme
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with the school. If you dislike something then address it with them. Social media isn't the place.

Also its the mom "punishing" the child not the school.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
If she was that upset the first week of school, they probably aren't a good fit...
bleumonster
by Ruby Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM
He's 4, he will get over it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN