Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

***UPDATE ON MY DOG***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies

I'm not sure if anyone remembers me or not, but I had put up a thread a few days ago about my dog asking if anyone had any advice about her heavy panting. I had mentioned that she had already seen 2 different vets and neither one of them saw anything wrong with her. I had decided to make another appointment to see a different vet in a different town and I am  SO GLAD I DID!

She listened to her carefully and guess what is wrong with her??? SHE'S CONSTIPATED!! The poor baby! Her steroid meds are causing her to be constipated. The vet was so nice! She didn't just press the stethoscope to her heart and say, hmm, sounds good here. She also listened to her belly. She didn't like the way she sounded there and did and asked me what medications she's been on. I told her the other vet has her on a steroid and antibiotics and since I remembered to bring them with me, she was able to see them. She said she was almost 100% sure my dog was constipated but asked if she could x-ray her to make sure. I agreed and sure enough! She was very constipated. I felt so bad for my dog! I usually just open the door and she goes out, does her business and comes back in. I don't go out with her because she's never run off and stays in the yard so I haven't paid attention to her going potty. The vet told me to stop at the store and get her some canned pumpkin and put it in her food. My dog is allergic to gluten so we have to be careful what we feed her. About 20 minutes after she ate, she went out and poo'd! YAY! I know, TMI, but I am so relieved it's nothing serious!!! Plus, I only had to pay for a visit and xrays and a $1.45 can of pumpkin.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tracy0812
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:30 AM
I'm glad it wasn't anything serious! We've got an awesome vet, been taking our dogs to him for 20 years now.
mrsmoonbeam
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:31 AM
Thats awsome! Im glad your dog is ok!
catwalkw
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sure that is a 'load' off of BOTH your minds!!  (sorry, could not resist!)

Seriously, glad all is well!

Snakecharm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM
We give pumpkin to one of my cats when he's constipated. Now that you know what to look for you'll know what to do. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to continue the pumpkin a few days and then once per week for a while.

A thorough vet makes a big difference. Good for you for following your instinct and getting a third opinion!!!! You know when something is out of the ordinary.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Me too and I agree, a HUGE load!!!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Quoting Snakecharm: We give pumpkin to one of my cats when he's constipated. Now that you know what to look for you'll know what to do. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to continue the pumpkin a few days and then once per week for a while. A thorough vet makes a big difference. Good for you for following your instinct and getting a third opinion!!!! You know when something is out of the ordinary.

Yes, she did tell me to give it to her every other day for the duration of her medications. After that, see how she does without the pumpkin.

southernangel1
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM
Yayyy for doggy going poo!!!! Hopefully he feels better now!! Poor guy!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Ohmagoodness! She poo'd and then came running into the house! She felt sooo much better!!

Quoting southernangel1: Yayyy for doggy going poo!!!! Hopefully he feels better now!! Poor guy!

blue-heart
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM
Yay!
LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Yay!  

I'm glad your fur baby is feeling better! And glad you found a vet who was willing to listen, both to you and to your dog. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)