Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Lifetime Promises To Bring Out The 'Strong Black Woman' In White Women

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 222 Replies
1 mom liked this

Lifetime Promises To Bring Out The 'Strong Black Woman' In White Women

Beauty pro Tracy Balan, fashion maven Tiffiny Dixon, home/sanctuary guru Nikki Chu and soul coach Tanisha Thomas host Girlfriend Intervention, which is a real show, believe it or not.

Beauty pro Tracy Balan, fashion maven Tiffiny Dixon, home/sanctuary guru Nikki Chu and soul coach Tanisha Thomas hostGirlfriend Intervention, which is a real show, believe it or not.

Richard Knapp/Lifetime

Lifetime's new show Girlfriend Intervention is not subtle about its message. Its premise is four black women giving a makeover to a white woman on the theory that, as they put it, "Trapped inside of every white girl is a strong black woman ready to bust out."

They don't even have to say "weak white girl" or "lame white girl" or "ugly white girl" or "unfashionable white girl" or "boring white girl," because all those things are, before long, implied.

The four makeover makers are Tracy Balan on beauty, Nikki Chu on "home and sanctuary," Tiffiny Dixon on fashion, and many-many-many-time reality star Tanisha Thomas (most notably of Oxygen's Bad Girls Club) as your — this is real — "soul coach." Thomas lays out her philosophy early in the first episode, saying that black women are taught that no matter what else is going on in your life, "as long as you look fabulous, that's all that matters." On the other hand, she says, "with Caucasian women, you get married, you marry the man of your dreams, you have his children, and now it's time to stop taking care of you? Girl, I missed that memo."

Are you a black woman? You might find this offensive. Are you a white woman? You might find this offensive. Are you neither? You might be thinking at this point that you're lucky to be left out of the entire thing. (Be aware, though, that no one is safe. Near the end of the first episode, Thomas exaggeratedly compliments the hotness of the made-over white woman by yelling, "Muy caliente, salsa picante mucho!")

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:43 AM
44 moms liked this
Makes no sense considering the number of black females living in poverty and raising children alone. I think these women should spend their time focusing on young black females and encouraging an education.
sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM
30 moms liked this
Like for real,, what crap. And i wonder if four white women get together to bring out the whiteness of a black woman, how well would that go over. Disgusting. Smh
strongforthem
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:46 AM

WTF? lol

Thats just silly.

ttriddick
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM
30 moms liked this
I always think that if you turn the roles, saying a strong white woman in every black woman, it would be an uproar. I'm not for ANYthing that pits people of different races against each other.

I'm not racist. Very far from it, so please understand when I say the above, it's because I feel we are all people. More specifically on this subject, we're all women.

Don't try to put me in any other box. I love all of my friends of all races, religion, and differences. I feel things like this only serve to seperate people even more.
Elegy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM
4 moms liked this

Anything for ratings.

KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:47 AM
Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM
6 moms liked this

Wow, now we allow racist bullshit TV shows? Reverse the races there and all shit would hit the fan!

I agree with the first poster...

mom2_2542
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Ridiculous
KristaP13
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

hmmmmmm 

Well Ok...

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:51 AM
2 moms liked this

This is such a fucking train wreck. And who would actually sign up for this kind of makeover? Seriously? Um, no thanks. I would rather stay boring old, made under, not a hot fucking mess, me. And I can assure you, if I do somehow have a black woman inside of me, there is no way I am letting that out. Just... yick.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN