Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

my daughter name is not ghetto.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 516 Replies
4 moms liked this
I hate the usage of that term especially when many don't understand its definition. By definition a name can not be ghetto. Ghetto refers to a low economic growth area. A name does not suggest economic status. Its called culture. Everyone is not named Jill or Amber. My daughter will be born in January. I told my friend my husband picked out her name. He always wanted a little girl. He researched every name he liked. He loves the name ALAYLAH. My friend said," please don't give her a ghetto name. She will need a job one day." The name means power and its middle eastern originated. My husband loves the definition of the name.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this

honestly why care? Its just one persons opinion. For what its worth I think the name is beautiful. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM
18 moms liked this

It does sound pretty ghetto

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM
58 moms liked this
Names do indeed suggest economic status as well as educational status. They reflect culture as well. It's the same with accent, dialect, clothing and mannerisms.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:16 PM
3 moms liked this

How is it pronounced?  A-Layla?

mrsrodgers0703
by Ruby Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Aaliyah is pretty.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, that's ghetto.

julie515
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
I like it.
lovinglife1622
by Silver Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
3 moms liked this
Are you middle eastern? Do you live in an area that it highly middle eastern and will know the definition? I didn't think middle eastern was a language. Any way name her what you want if you like it that's all that matters, but yeah it sounds ghetto
viv212
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:18 PM
6 moms liked this
It is a little ghetto. At least spell it right or else she will have to go her whole life helping people pronounce or and spelling it out all the time.
CoolRelax
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 12:20 PM
9 moms liked this

I think the name is beautiful, and if you like it you should use it.  But your friend misspoke.  It's not having a "ghetto" name that hinders people in their job search, it's any name that's thought of as a "black" name.  So whether it's Shanequishioash or Aalyah your child may have issues finding a job.  It has literally been proven using the same resumes with different names that "black sounding" names are looked over and many don't get call backs for an interview. 

Still, I wouldn't let that stop me if I wanted a name like that.  This world won't be that stupid forever, and being cautious won't help that happen any quicker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN