Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

everyone deserves their own room at some point

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 13 Replies
So a friend gave me a dora toddler bed and told me to sell my dds old one for gas money if I needed it. I posted it on Facebook and a friend asked me if dd was getting a big girl bed. I explained that she got a dora bed but it got me thinking about my kids needing their own rooms and and the 3 yr old needing to move to a twin probably in the next 6 months. So I asked sd10 (lives here full-time) if she wanted to try out the basement for the weekend.
We already have an old mattress down there so I wasn't going to take her whole room set down and find out she wasn't ready for the change.
So I threw the mattress down on the floor with her covers and pillows on top. Set her all up downstairs. I sent dh a picture of sd sleeping (hes at work) he post on Facebook "trying out her new room". His ex wife text me and asked why I was being so neglectful and making her baby sleep on the floor. I tried to explain and she just wouldn't have it. She insisted that if sd cant have her whole set to try out the room then it's not the same and I'm being neglectful by letting her sleep on the floor. I ignored her but part of me wonders if others would think im being neglectful?
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hubris_Huntsman
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM
She's insane.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM
No, you're not.

And fucking FB problems, I swear.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:40 PM

BM is overreacting. Moving an entire room on the chance a child will not like a new room is stupid.

bookwormx4
by Gold Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM
If things don't work out why move the while set down just to move it back? One night won't hurt anything, and if she loves it, then she gets her own room.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM
As a former step kid who had to sleep in the basement, it's not a good idea.
It made me feel like shit. A basement isn't a bedroom. I felt very much like I wasn't important at all.
mewebb82
by Platinum Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Mom is overreacting. I wouldn't want to move it all either until I was sure she was going to stay down there.
Foolynroo2
by Emerald Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:42 PM

I understand the trial, but honestly if I saw my kid sleeping on a matress on the basement floor - I think I'd have to say something too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:43 PM
If the basement is cozy then I think it's fine. Cold cement floors or un finished walls. That would be a no for me. But I'm guessing your basement looks better than mine :)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:12 PM
My oldest has had a room in the basement for a yr. She loves it and is excited admit the idea of her sister being near enough. Dd is 11 they have a lot of similar friends and they know that if this works out then they can have their friends over down there without mom intruding It's a finished basement with a accessible fire exit. I wasn't the step kid but I had a room in the basement and loved it. I had my own space and as I got older and we moved to different homes I always picked the basement. It was like my own apartment type.

Quoting Anonymous 3: As a former step kid who had to sleep in the basement, it's not a good idea.
It made me feel like shit. A basement isn't a bedroom. I felt very much like I wasn't important at all.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 29, 2014 at 11:24 PM
There is a rug on the cement but the walls are finished. The mattress on the floor isn't a long term thing. I understand the shock at first like ur expecting her to sleep where but once you know it's not permanently going to be sleeping on a mattress on the floor I think most would get over it. I mean she knows sd has a full bed set. A dresser, mattress, box springs, frame and everything. Right now it's like camping. Sd has a fear of the dark which is why I thought a trial run was best.when sd and dd shared a room downstairs in our old house shed almost always end up on the couch upstairs by morning. She's gotten older so I figured it was worth a shot again this time she'd get her own room though.

Quoting Anonymous 4: If the basement is cozy then I think it's fine. Cold cement floors or un finished walls. That would be a no for me. But I'm guessing your basement looks better than mine :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN