Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are you being safe on CafeMom?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 125 Replies
10 moms liked this

Are you being safe & secure with your info on here? (This post refers mostly to MC, but this really goes for any group, in any forum, or anywhere online. It's good advice to follow.)

"What time do your kids get on the bus/go to school/get home?"

"What time do you go to work/get home?"

"Where do you (or any member of your family/friends) live/work/go to school?"

"When/where are you going on vacation?"

"Do you have a road named this in your town?"

I've seen countless posts like this, and lots of you ladies commenting with very personal info. The poster could be just an innocent bystander, or they could be somebody fishing for information. You may not think it's being used against you, but it could be. There is always that possibility. I have seen some very scary things happen as a result of this website and there is very little the admins can or will do about it.

If you give little pieces here and there, it may not seem like a big deal. But you don't know what's going on behind the scenes. There are very unstable women on here that will STALK your every post and comment, and they know how to piece together all of that info and make it into a bigger picture.

Be safe, ladies. Any information that could be possibly identifying to you or your family should always be a no go. This includes pictures. It's okay to discuss things, but try not to focus on specifics. Be as general as possible. People on here don't need to know every detail of your life, as tempting as it may be to divulge.

Think before you post.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I always post anon for that reason.
AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I've already learned this the hard way. I'm way more careful now.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:09 AM
Thank you anon. I wouldn't be posting here without it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:10 AM
Anything I post has a 50/50 chance of being true. I may post factual things but tweak one thing that means someone could search but never find me.
The people who have had issues with stalking didn't have those issues due to answering those questions. These are people who shared their full names, the FB or YouTube accounts and where they live. These people way over shared!
happymia
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:11 AM
3 moms liked this
I've always stayed away from posts like, what's your mom's maiden name, what city do you live in, what are your families names, what's your child's school mascot. Seems creepy to me that someone would make a post wanting that personal info
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:12 AM
Yeah, most smart people already know this, and a few of us learned the hard way. My face and even the town I live in is blasted all over different blogs.
TexasGirl90
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:14 AM
What happened?

Quoting AvantGardener:

.Bad.Wolf.
by Morsmordre on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:15 AM
3 moms liked this
If any of you can PM me & tell me exactly where I am, I'll do better at protecting myself. I've been here 7 1/2 years, if no one has figured it out yet, I doubt they will.

Unless you all are tracing IP addresses now...if you've stooped to that you're all a hell of a lot creepier than I thought.
JackieGirl007
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Geez, one time I asked on here "what is your grandmother's name?" only because I was looking for an old fashioned name for my female puppy. One lady went nuts on me and accused me of being a stalker, plus reported me and then made a post about being safe online. Was that you?

AvantGardener
by Song Bird on Aug. 31, 2014 at 2:17 AM

Oh, lol you name it. My husband contacted, followed around a grocery store, my address posted....good times.

Quoting TexasGirl90: What happened?
Quoting AvantGardener:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)