Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you censor what your kids watch? (Poll)

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 150 Replies

Poll

Question: >>Do you censor stuff for your kids? To what extent and until what age?<< Please comment with why.

Options:

I censor anything over PG for everyone all the time.

I censor anything over PG (or PG13) until age 18+.

I censor until they reach a certain age (under 18).

I only censor in Mocking Bird stage and extreme cases of graphic content.

I do not censor anything ever.

I have different answers for different kids.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 171

View Results

When I was growing up, I never had anything censored- movies, music, books, etc. I got to read and watch anything I wanted. We have been spending time with family who always asks "What is the rating?" before letting kids watch shows. Anything over PG-13, we cannot watch while any of the kids (including the 15 year old) are awake. They also are very strict with what they say and what the kids can listen to. 

I plan to raise my baby with little-to-no censors. Of course other than "cussing" and himself. The only time I think I would censor is during the "mockingbird stage" and/or if he happens to be especially precocious for some reason.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mom-to-2kids
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I voted that I don't censor.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Can't there be a simple poll. Like yes, I censor. or No, I do not.. My answer isn't even on there.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM

I am sorry, but I wanted more info than that because there are different stages of censorship. What is your answer?

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Can't there be a simple poll. Like yes, I censor. or No, I do not.. My answer isn't even on there.

ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I do but it's common sense he is 12 he doesn't need to watch family guy or adult swim... no saw nothing rated R.
thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
2 moms liked this
Only for my sanity. Like I banned dora and calliou in the toddler stage.

Right now it's mostly only graphic stuff that gets sensored.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
Of course I don't let my kids watch certain things. Will I let my 10 year old watch Dexter? Weeds? Any TVMA show? Nope. Do my 17 & 15 year olds? It depends honestly.
t1gger143
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
I don't censor much. They don't need to see bake bodies or sex scenes at 5 and 7. Action scenes are fine and they know not to curse.
seraphimsong
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:53 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't really censor based on ratings, because I feel like a PG-13 rating these days is like an R rating on an older movie. Also, I don't necessarily think a bad word here or there is terrible, but if 90% of the sentences are bad words then it's a definite no. Violence is probably the biggest thing I censor.

So basically I assess the show/movie and decide if MY child can handle the content
Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:54 PM
2 moms liked this
No we do not. My parents rarely censored things for us and we rarely censor things for our kids.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 31, 2014 at 11:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I censor things that are of adult content like anything gory, sexual, or with excessive cursing. I also censor shows featuring characters who's habits I don't want my kids to pick up like any of those obnoxious live action shows on Disney. those kids are obnoxious as hell, and yes, that part may just be for my benefit lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN