Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Need advice

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 19 Replies
If you live with your mother in law please tell me how you do it. DH mother will be here after Christmas. She is moving in. I know she is expecting to make it permanent as she has never had her own place to call home. Those are not my plans. I will assist in her getting settled but not make the arrangement permanent. I know DH wants it to be set in stone. Thoughts? What can I do here.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:11 AM
What does he want to be set in stone? Her living with you guys permanently or her getting a different place?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM
Her living here.

Quoting Anonymous 2: What does he want to be set in stone? Her living with you guys permanently or her getting a different place?
handy0318
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:13 AM

This...

Quoting Anonymous 2: What does he want to be set in stone? Her living with you guys permanently or her getting a different place?

handy0318
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM

That needs to be worked out between the two of you before she ever moves in. You have a few months to thrash this out with your dh, but unless the two of you are in complete agreement, she shouldn't move in, even temporarily.

Is your dh and mil from a different culture?

Quoting Anonymous 1: Her living here.

Bluerose1482
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM

What does he want to be 'set in stone'?  Her staying or her leaving?

Honestly, I would never agree to let any adult move into my home without a very definate plan and time-frame for them to be out of my home.  Like, they have or will very soon have a full-time job and will save X number of dollars per month for X number of months so they can afford to get their own place.

How does she support herself?  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Her living with us.

Quoting handy0318:

This...

MagicMonkey
by Cilla on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM
This

Goodybag1
by CuteiPie on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:15 AM
Good luck with that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:16 AM
Nope not unless its prescribed by a doctor. My mom had moved in once and now she lives next door because it was like her and my husband where teaming against me. And im not going to allow that in my home.
GirlWithANikon
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 3:17 AM

That needs to be worked out with your DH. Is there a reason you don't want her there and a reason they don't want her to leave? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN