Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

No car, No problem.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 230 Replies

I saw yet another post about how people live without a car and can it be done if you don't live in NYC.  So I thought I would explain.  

There are a number of other cities including some "suburbs" that are being built as eco-boomer towns.  They usually have good public transportation and walkibility.  

I'll give the example of where I live, Arlington, VA which depending on how you view it you would either say is an urban extention of dc or a inner suburb.  It is very walkable here and the schools actually encourage kids to walk or take the buses to school and discourage kids being driven to school.  From where we live it takes 10-15 minutes to walk to the subway.  There is also numerous buses within a few block range of where I live.  There are also zip cars available.  

Of course nothing is perfect.  We do unfortunately have some people who drive SUVs, but we are working on getting them to go move somewhere else.  This is not the place for them.  There is even a group that goes around and works on finding legal reasons to report SUV drivers for various things to encourage them to move (code violations, parking violations, CPS issues, etc).

Anyway I though I would explain while there is a post back on the subject.  I also realize that this lifesytle is not for everyone so I understand some of you like living rural or in the outer suburbs and that is cool.  Feel free to ask anything.  

Update: The reason we want to get rid of SUVs is because the design of SUVs makes them far more deadly to pedestrians than cars or minivans and we believe in having a city safe for pedestrians to walk around in.  For more information on this I'd recommend reading Keith Bradsher's book High and Mighty.  

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:22 AM
7 moms liked this
I think it sucks people "encourage" SUV owners in that manner.
UrWorstNight
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
You do know that you can not legally make some one move just because of the kind of car they drive????

I take the bus to where ever I need to go. And I live sort of middle of no where.

And I've been through Arlington....that place is a hot fucking mess to drive through, so is Alexandria VA. Its a pain in the ass.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM
4 moms liked this
WTH did I just read? Did you seriously say there is a group that are so hung up on what people drive they figure out ways to report the families to CPS so that they have to move? That's taking things WAY WAY WAY too far!!!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:25 AM

I'm not sure I understand your comment (I see you are posting on a mobile phone so sometimes I realize messages get confused).  We are discouraging them not encouraging them.  We do not want SUVs in our community driven for personal use.  

Quoting Danesmommy1: I think it suckc people "encourage" SUV owners in that manner.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM

That is awesome you take the bus.  It is perfectly legal to report people for legitimate violations.  If our lawmakers won't accept that SUVs are the top preventable killers in the United States that other action has to be taken.  You are also correct driving conditions are not good in Arlington and Alexandria.  Thus it makes it even worse to have SUVs here because the road conditions are not suitable for them.   

Quoting UrWorstNight: You do know that you can not legally make some one move just because of the kind of car they drive???? I take the bus to where ever I need to go. And I live sort of middle of no where. And I've been through Arlington....that place is a hot fucking mess to drive through, so is Alexandria VA. Its a pain in the ass.

anb149
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM
You can't control what people drive. That is ridiculous.
UrWorstNight
by on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:30 AM
You still can not and I repeat not report people or make,someone move just because the kind of car they drive!!!!!!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

That is awesome you take the bus.  It is perfectly legal to report people for legitimate violations.  If our lawmakers won't accept that SUVs are the top preventable killers in the United States that other action has to be taken.  You are also correct driving conditions are not good in Arlington and Alexandria.  Thus it makes it even worse to have SUVs here because the road conditions are not suitable for them.   

Quoting UrWorstNight: You do know that you can not legally make some one move just because of the kind of car they drive????

I take the bus to where ever I need to go. And I live sort of middle of no where.

And I've been through Arlington....that place is a hot fucking mess to drive through, so is Alexandria VA. Its a pain in the ass.

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:30 AM
It's a dick move. "Encourage" "discourage" however say it, it sucks that you'd do that to people.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I'm not sure I understand your comment (I see you are posting on a mobile phone so sometimes I realize messages get confused).  We are discouraging them not encouraging them.  We do not want SUVs in our community driven for personal use.  

Quoting Danesmommy1: I think it suckc people "encourage" SUV owners in that manner.

HelenaHandbsket
by Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Look, I'm not a fan of SUVs either. Reporting people to CPS just because you don't like the car they drive is a horrible thing to do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 7:34 AM

First off, the group does not make up stuff to report to CPS, they look for legit concerns and violations.  CPS should probably know about these things anyways.  And SUVS are far more deadly to pedestrians, especially children than are cars and even minivans.  As I stated we do not want SUVs here because they kill innocent people.  

Quoting Anonymous 2: WTH did I just read? Did you seriously say there is a group that are so hung up on what people drive they figure out ways to report the families to CPS so that they have to move? That's taking things WAY WAY WAY too far!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN