Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should employers......

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 213 Replies

Should employers have access to your Facebook, Twitter, and ect.?

Yesterday at a store meeting our manager requested that we give our emails and names we use on any social media.

I explained to my manager I have personal accounts and public accounts an I do not feel that they need to know my personal life. She told me I have 24 hours to give all my info or I could be terminated.

One older lady whom has been at the company for 6 years doesn't even own a computer or smart phone. She doesn't even use any social media and the manager was giving her shit and said there are other ways to find out if a person has soical media or not.

Edit -

So I don't have to repeat. I have been with the company 6 weeks. I for a deli as a chef in training.

Also if you google or what ever my name you never find me there are close to 100 in my area with my name and nation wide there are close to 1500 with my first and last name.

I work in a "at will" state and I'm a bit worried they want to fire me as I am not who I am off the clock. I keep my work life and my personal life apart for my safety.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:46 PM
2 moms liked this
After you're hired?

Absolutely not.
KairisMama
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd have to say no. I teach. My district has access to any sites I visit when at school, on their network. At home, that's my business. Our Union emails us at home so the district CANNOT monitor the information. I consent to allowing my union to send email communication. I am not forced.
702girly
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Nope. I wouldn't give out my information and I'd do everything I could to sue the company if I was fired for this reason. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM
8 moms liked this

Yeah I don't think so. My boss shouldn't have to know what I do on my off time and in my personal time. I give 45 hours a week to the company and who I am at work isn't who I am behind closed doors.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

yes social media is how you see the real person.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:49 PM
No
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Yes after you're hired.

Quoting Anonymous 3: After you're hired? Absolutely not.

CameraMum
by Silver Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:50 PM
I look at Facebook before I hire besides that I'm too busy to look after. I know people have been fired for things they post on social media but I think someone gives their employers a heads up on a not so flattering.

I don't get the asking for emails or usernames, that's stepping over a line. Next they will be asking for passwords too.
ladymaleficent
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM
Lmao I would tell her okay you try that and we shall see what the lawyers say...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM
6 moms liked this
My shits all private so even if I gave them the info they couldn't see anything and they can not demand me to add them. I also use several emails.
zacmacsmomm
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2014 at 4:51 PM

Talk with HR, I think that is illegal, not 100% sure though.  I wouldn't give my account info to anybody.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN