Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I hire people based on

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM
  • 497 Replies
4 moms liked this
How they dress.

If you come for an interview not manicured or you look sloppy, you won't get hired.

I don't care about personal style, actually I welcome it (tattoos, hair color or head half shaven, etc)

But being clean and representing your style is incredibly important to me, since I hire personal stylist

Hows your style?
by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM
3 moms liked this

I remember when I applied for a job a while. I wore nice pants,a  suit jacket, heels and such. I got an interview right there and the person that interviewed me mentioned I was the only one that dressed up that day and he appreciated that. I left that day with a new job.

Normally I dress casually but I do dress up, even to fill out an application (because several times I had been interviewed right then and there)

wamom223
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:32 PM

Lol my sister does the hiring at a hospital and this is a huge issue for her.  She doesn't necessarily care if they are manicured or have trendy clothes but if there is one stain on their clothes or they aren't showered I get a text.  

Edit to add: This post reminded me that the last job interview I went on was right after I got off work at a restaurant and didn't have time to change.  I was horrified when I looked down and saw terriyaki sauce on my pants but my new boss said it showed him I wasn't afraid to get dirty to get the job done.  I still cringe when I think about how I didn't have time to get ready for that interview

Emycf
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM
My dh recently had an interview with a guy who was decently qualified and did okay in the interview, but his slacks looked liked they were about 2 sizes too big and he wasn't wearing a belt or suspenders to keep them up. No job for him.
Seagodess
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:34 PM
2 moms liked this
I normally don't dress up, but for a job interview i always look nice. I see people coming into my work for interviews in jeans with holes, mini skirts, old t-shirts or hoodies and wonder what the hell they are thinking.
couture-mommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly!
Honestly, I think that anytime you step out of the house, you are representing yourself and your brand.
Although, I get that women have "blah" days lol

Quoting ColtsFan1912:

I remember when I applied for a job a while. I wore nice pants,a  suit jacket, heels and such. I got an interview right there and the person that interviewed me mentioned I was the only one that dressed up that day and he appreciated that. I left that day with a new job.

Normally I dress casually but I do dress up, even to fill out an application (because several times I had been interviewed right then and there)

smalltownteddy
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:35 PM
8 moms liked this
It blows my mind that this is actually an issue.
LNLMommy
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM

I don't hire solely based off of appearance but it is very important if you want to get anywhere with me. If you show up looking crazy, it sends the message that you don't care and that's not good

mybumblebe
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:36 PM
I would def judge from outer appearance too when it comes to hiring but that's especially true for sales...what kind of workplace do you work in? I would have no problem lol I'm hot shit and dress the part :p
katyusha42
by Metal Kitty on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I'm always clean and well dressed no matter what job I'm applying for. No jeans or sneakers. Usually slacks, a nice shirt, light makeup, my nails are kept short and clean and I usually don't bother with polish.
sugareemommee
by Platinum Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 1:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Do you actually mean manicured nails?

A lot of people's personal style are natural nails.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)