Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

A Pit Bull PSA. Edit because I forgot people can't read.

Posted by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
  • 290 Replies
8 moms liked this

I assume this can be broadened to all breeds of dog, but I hear it the most about Pit Bulls. 

I swear if I hear the words "It's all in how you raise them" one more time. I might curse.  

It's not "all in how you raise them". Breeding has a lot, even more, to do with it.  Most "pit bulls" (and I put that in quotations because most of the mutts being passed off as "Pit Bulls" aren't) are the result of poor breeding practices. Backyard breeders breed substandard, aggressive dogs together so they get puppies who are predisposed to be aggressive (because a "badass" dog is "fun).

You also have the morons who breed their family pet who they found on the street. They have no history on the dog, most of the time it isn't even  purebred. They breed it because they want a dog "just like fluffy" or because "that one person in their family/friend circle wants a puppy 'just like fluffy".  

Then there's  the people who buy from the two aformentioned morons and breed their dogs together for profit or because their kids needed to see "the miracle of life" or any other bogus reason. 

There are about 100 ways for someone to become a backyard breeder.

The result? Someone down the line buys a cute puppy off of craigslist or puppyfind or from a friend of a friend with no research into the breed, and no knowledge about what to look for in a breeder. They love their little puppy to pieces and treat it like royalty, yet they still wind up with a genetically unstable dog who either attacks them, or someone else.  Is the owner at fault for not realizing signs before it was too late? Yes, but the average pet owner is usually clueless about animal behavior. Should they have got the dog from a more reputable source? Hell yea. But the majority of people who buy dogs (no matter the breed or mix) buy from disreputable sources. How were they supposed to know they were the unlucky ones? 

If you get bit by a dog, chances are the owner wasn't abusing it, or treating it badly in any way. The dog was probably not being trained to fight or be an attack dog (and if it was being properly trained for Personal protection it wouldn't bite you unprovoked). Chances are the owner is just as shocked as you and when they say "he never behaved like that before", in their mind they are telling the truth (most of the time).  So give the owners a break, and stop claiming "it's all in how you raise them". That phrase does a lot more harm than good. 

But, if you happen to know someone is abusing their dogs or training them to attack others, give that person a swift kick to the gonads and call 911. 

Edit: 

1. Never did I say Pit Bulls are evil. I wouldn't have 3 if I believed that. 

2. I didn't say breeding is the only factor. I said it plays a big role.  Uneducated owners who discount genetics and think they can hug the problems away are a problem too. As well as ones who do no research into the breed, or dog behavior and let potentially dangerous behaviors go on until it's too late.

3. Not every dog that attacks someone/something is abused (unless you count having an idiot for an owner or breeder as abuse). That was the point of this post.

4. This wasn't pointed out in the post but I happened to notice it. Why is it that the people who don't even like Pit Bulls or don't own them have more knowledge of the breed than so called "advocates" who can't seem to grasp that Pit Bull is two words instead of one? 

by on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:08 PM

puppy

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:10 PM
15 moms liked this

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:14 PM
7 moms liked this
Omg, honestly can you be more stupid if you tried? Probably not. Aggression is not passed down the bloodlines or genetics (yes I know I just pretty much repeated myself, but you seem dumb as ass paper). GET YOU FACTS STRAIGHT snd stop spreading ignorance about this wonderful misunderstood dog. F#*# idiots piss me off.
Elegy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM
5 moms liked this

Temperament absolutely has a genetic component.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Omg, honestly can you be more stupid if you tried? Probably not. Aggression is not passed down the bloodlines or genetics (yes I know I just pretty much repeated myself, but you seem dumb as ass paper). GET YOU FACTS STRAIGHT snd stop spreading ignorance about this wonderful misunderstood dog. F#*# idiots piss me off.

JackAttacks
by Angel on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
2 moms liked this

In case anyone is wondering what ass paper is I suspect it is this:

Quoting Anonymous 1: Omg, honestly can you be more stupid if you tried? Probably not. Aggression is not passed down the bloodlines or genetics (yes I know I just pretty much repeated myself, but you seem dumb as ass paper). GET YOU FACTS STRAIGHT snd stop spreading ignorance about this wonderful misunderstood dog. F#*# idiots piss me off.

sarbear8508
by Gold Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:17 PM
3 moms liked this
I couldn't disagree more. As said by pp I've never seen aggression passed on through the offspring. Get mad if you want, it's all how you raise them.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM
No it doesn't.

Quoting Elegy:

Temperament absolutely has a genetic component.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this

Are people really that stupid? Temperament definitely IS genetic.  It's like biology 101. 

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:19 PM

Gross.  Is this real?

Quoting JackAttacks:

In case anyone is wondering what ass paper is I suspect it is this:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Ugh. Yesterday at the dog park a pit bull owner told my dh that dobermans that there was a nerve pinched in their necks that made tem mean. All the while HIS pit was growling and being aggressive with other dogs there while our doberman hid under the picnic table. DH told him to fuck off and we left.

I'm not saying ALL pits are mean, btw. Just that this particular one was behaving very aggressively and his dumbass owner thought we should be "educated about how dobermans are naturally mean".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN