Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

First grade reading level?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 60 Replies
What is your kid reading at?
Ds is in first grade and is at guided reading level E or DRA 6-8. These are the two measures his school uses.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:04 PM
5th grade level was all they told me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM

that is fine for first grade.  About average.

AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:06 PM

DD just started 1st grade today. She hasn't been tested since last December but at that point she was an E as well.

motherofzandz
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:07 PM
First grade first month exactly was what mine tested at. I am working hard to improve that but he doesn't like reading at all. Its a struggle. He also didn't understand the testing process very well and now that he understands it I think he would do much better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:12 PM

not for sure at this point. I know last year they said he was way behind in his reading level(still 8levels behind by end of year). last year his School got him extra help, he went to a special reading class during school and a special phonics class(he talks great) and they also hooked him up with a reading teacher one day a week after school. I continued working with him at home and bought looney tune phonics which was a great help. My son hated reading and spelling, it was torture for him lol, but is doing a lot better now

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Quoting motherofzandz: First grade first month exactly was what mine tested at. I am working hard to improve that but he doesn't like reading at all. Its a struggle. He also didn't understand the testing process very well and now that he understands it I think he would do much better.

check out Looney Tune phonics. It costs $10.00 but it helped my son a lot. You get reading levels from preschool to 3rd grade.

Denecia
by Silver Member on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:15 PM
No clue but sadly my daughter is in 1st grade and is having a bit of trouble picking up reading. Her dad and I are avid readers and read with her everyday. I hope she gets the hang of it soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:16 PM
Quoting AvantGardener:

DD just started 1st grade today. She hasn't been tested since last December but at that point she was an E as well.

I'm just happy they are giving him his level books now. Last yr he was given way too easy books and he refused to read them. She said he is technically ahead of E vocabulary wise but she is more concerned with can they answer questions about the story. So she put everyone a lil further behind to make sure they comprehend what they are reading.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Quoting Denecia: No clue but sadly my daughter is in 1st grade and is having a bit of trouble picking up reading. Her dad and I are avid readers and read with her everyday. I hope she gets the hang of it soon.

One day it'll just click for her. Is she having more issues with sight words or phonetics?
AvantGardener
by extremely humble on Sep. 2, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Last year DD was getting level D books because the teacher didn't want her to miss out on that level because it's a fun level. I was fine with that, but then the teacher went on leave for months and the sub was giving level A books. :( 

Today was her first day, so we'll see how it goes this year.

Quoting Anonymous 1:
Quoting AvantGardener:

I'm just happy they see giving him his level books now. Last yr he was given way too easy books and he refused to read them. She said he is technically ahead of E vocabulary wise but she is more concerned with can they answer questions about the story. So she put everyone a lil further behind to make sure they comprehend what they are reading.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN