Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Preemie Misinformation (pic)

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 4:49 AM
  • 257 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

There seems to be a severe lack of education about preemies. It seems like everyone has assumptions about what "causes" preemies, how they "should" be, and what their parents should feel or be offended by.

I have a 31² weeker, born via emergency csection due to severe preeclampsia.

I really don't mind sharing my preemie story to raise some awareness. I can also answer most questions that are generally preemie related, but not necessarily certain disorders. There are some that I am familiar with.

What are some things you have heard about preemie babies? Is there anything in particular you have questions about? I want to get as much info out there as possible.

I am also interested to see if there are any other preemie moms here. Thank you. 😃
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 4:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AilsaSeoid
by UnicornMayo on Sep. 3, 2014 at 4:57 AM
{Bump}
Mumof2ferals
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:01 AM
1 mom liked this

No questions here. I have a 32 &35 weekers. They're now 4 & 8 & thriving. 

24Mom2Be
by Bronze Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:04 AM
2 moms liked this
Isn't that what March of dimes is for?
AilsaSeoid
by UnicornMayo on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:05 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a thriving 4.5 month old that's already completely caught up physically and developmentally. I consider myself extremely lucky.
Spam72
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:07 AM
6 moms liked this
I would like to know what you feel is misinformation being spread. I actually don't hear people saying things about them in general. I read about possible complications from my doctor. Are you saying doctors are spreading false info and you will clear that up?
AilsaSeoid
by UnicornMayo on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes but they aren't always accessible and a lot of the time people are, frankly, too lazy to look them up. I'm trying spread info on a different, Q&A type level.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: Isn't that what March of dimes is for?
AilsaSeoid
by UnicornMayo on Sep. 3, 2014 at 5:14 AM
I never once mentioned doctors spreading bad information. It bothers me that was your go-to assumption.

Generally the only information people receive are from second- or third- hand sources. "My cousin's baby blah blah blah" or advertising against smoking, etc, showing that it causes premature birth. I, in real life, have had strangers ask what I did wrong to have a preemie. This is due to lack of information and only seeing those limited sources. I am trying to just get more general knowledge out there.

Quoting Spam72: I would like to know what you feel is misinformation being spread. I actually don't hear people saying things about them in general. I read about possible complications from my doctor. Are you saying doctors are spreading false info and you will clear that up?
Spam72
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:49 AM
Interesting . How do all these people know you had a premie? It seems odd that hoards of strangers noticed that. One of my babies is very tiny . Full term but little. Nobody has ever asked me anything about what I did wrong. At 10 months she is 15 pounds. People will say "oh what a tiny little thing" but never has someone asked me what I'm doing wrong nor do they ask if she was early.

Quoting AilsaSeoid: I never once mentioned doctors spreading bad information. It bothers me that was your go-to assumption.

Generally the only information people receive are from second- or third- hand sources. "My cousin's baby blah blah blah" or advertising against smoking, etc, showing that it causes premature birth. I, in real life, have had strangers ask what I did wrong to have a preemie. This is due to lack of information and only seeing those limited sources. I am trying to just get more general knowledge out there.

Quoting Spam72: I would like to know what you feel is misinformation being spread. I actually don't hear people saying things about them in general. I read about possible complications from my doctor. Are you saying doctors are spreading false info and you will clear that up?
Spam72
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM
To who? Isn't it pretty likely that If you are on cafemom you also can get to the march of dimes website?

Quoting AilsaSeoid: Yes but they aren't always accessible and a lot of the time people are, frankly, too lazy to look them up. I'm trying spread info on a different, Q&A type level.

Quoting 24Mom2Be: Isn't that what March of dimes is for?
the.B.karma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 7:53 AM

I am a preemie mom. I have never noticed bad information floating around out there. We spent a month in the NICU, I'm certainly no fool to the things that can cause it. There are many.

My DS was born 5 weeks early at barely 4 pounds and 15 inches tall, he had a birth defect, IUGR, and we were rushed into an ER section as well as he was dying. I almost lost him and had to deliver at 29 weeks as well. It was rough. He's fine now, almost 5!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)