Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do your/will your kids speak 2 languages?

Posted by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM
  • 80 Replies

I was thinking of learning Spanish and teaching it to my son too. Getting him bilingual toys and things for now then later implementing it into normal conversation..

Any one have advice on teaching kids two languages?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:23 PM
Songs
Darkangelpunk
by Silver Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:26 PM
2 moms liked this
My 6 yr old dd really want to learn more sign language. She knows the alphabet mostly and a few words. She keeps asking to learn more. I've always wanted to Learn more as well so I will probably learn some with her
pinktardis
by Pinky on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I'm wondering how to do the same thing. I was thinking of using rosetta stone and looking for bilingual preschools. I've always wished I had learned another language and I feel like I'm missing out on the prime time for my daughter to learn one.
AutymsMommy
by Platinum Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I do not speak two languages. My FIL and my husband's side of the family does speak Italian, though, so my children will probably pick some up here and there. If, however, they are like my husband, they will pick up enough to understand much of it, but not enough to speak it themselves.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

autodidact
by Snarknado on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM

depending on where you are, your library should have kids books and videos in spanish, and maybe even a lanague program. 

I had Spanish and French in high school. My oldest has been studying it for a few years now, and now that my younger has started Kinder I'm looking for a Spanish program for him. 

I want us to all learn Irish together, too. 

Love-Hate
by Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Because of the preschool my children attend/ed they all know English Spanish and French.
supermama322
by Kaylee on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:32 PM
I do and so will my kids. They are in full French Immersion.
the.B.karma
by on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd say you or someone around him would need to speak it fluently and really good for him to learn quicker.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:36 PM

for beginners spanish we watched dora with her LOL  even my guy who is not familar with spanish picked some up that way.  I learned it in high school and that is formal spanish, not different dialects.  Now my dd chooses to watch most of her dvds in spanish instead of english.  She usualy does not use most of the words though these days.

AliKatAK47
by Meanie Pants on Sep. 3, 2014 at 10:39 PM
No. 3. My second language is Spanish but hubby's second language is Italian.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN