Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WTF is with people and Facebook? I don't get it.

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM
  • 1 Replies

This happened a few days ago not 10 minutes from where I live.  I cannot BELIEVE this idiot actually took "selfies" of himself armed and of the SWAT team outside on his flipping Facebook Page!!!

Standoff at Fort Hall over: Ray Broncho has surrendered to SWAT officers outside his home

Create a hardcopy of this page
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Saturday, September 20, 2014 11:47 am | Updated: 8:49 am, Mon Sep 22, 2014.

FORT HALL—The heavily armed man involved in a more than 18-hour standoff with multiple SWAT teams in armored vehicles has finally surrendered.

Authorities said an unharmed Ray Broncho surrendered around 9:30 p.m. Saturday to SWAT officers outside his Lodge Pine Street home at the Fort Hall Indian Reservation. He has been transported to the Fort Hall Justice Center, where he'll be held until the FBI files formal charges against him.

Authorities said that since the standoff began at 3 a.m. Saturday Broncho  fired a semi-automatic rifle several times at law enforcement officers as well as at neighboring houses but no one was injured.

Broncho was alone in his house and did not have any hostages.

The Southeast Idaho, Pocatello police and FBI SWAT teams were deployed to the scene in their Bearcat and MRAP armored cars and surrounded Broncho's residence. The Bonneville County SWAT team was on standby to deploy to the scene.

FBI Special Agent Todd Palmer released a statement around 7 p.m. Saturday saying authorities were "currently working to peacefully resolve a situation on the Fort Hall Indian Reservation. At this time there is no danger to the community and surrounding residences have been evacuated."

Authorities released little information about the standoff throughout the day Saturday except that there were no injuries.

The Idaho Falls bomb squad was also at the scene to apparently use its robot to help resolve the standoff.

Broncho reportedly had several firearms with him in his home and throughout Saturday he opened fire on the law enforcement officers outside on multiple occasions, authorities said. The incident began around 3 a.m. Saturday when Broncho's neighbors reported to Fort Hall police that he was firing his guns. Fort Hall police responded and Broncho barricaded himself in his house.

All residents living within 400 yards of Broncho's home were evacuated as of 8 a.m. Saturday. Several of them stayed at the Sho-Ban Hotel while waiting for the standoff to end.

Jessica First, who lives across the street from Broncho, said that around 3 a.m. Saturday she saw Fort Hall police in her yard with guns drawn pursuing him.

First, her husband and her children retreated to their home's basement for safety.

Around 3:30 a.m. Saturday Fort Hall police evacuated the family to a spot behind their residence, out of the line of sight from Broncho's home. Then at 5 a.m. police cut through a fence bordering the Firsts' property so the family could safely leave the scene. First, her husband and children took shelter at the Sho-Ban Hotel until the standoff ended.

First said she did hear what she thought were gunshots early Saturday morning before seeing Fort Hall police pursuing Broncho.

As of 6:30 a.m. Saturday the FBI was on the scene communicating with Broncho via phone. He posted comments and photos throughout the standoff on his Facebook page.

Authorities have released no additional information as to exactly why Broncho barricaded himself in his home.

The SWAT teams began arriving at the scene with their Bearcat and MRAP armored vehicles late Saturday morning. Bearcats cost around $240,000 and are high-tech armored SUVs specifically designed to protect law enforcement officers during standoffs and other potentially hostile situations. MRAPs are military surplus armored cars supplied to law enforcement agencies for free by the U.S. military.

Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen and Bingham County Sheriff Craig Rowland were also on the scene, along with members of the Fort Hall Tribal Council.

To keep the public out of the standoff area, road blocks were set up at Warbonnet and Eagle roads, Warbonnet and Mission roads, Mission and Agency roads, and Eagle and Agency roads behind the Fort Hall casino.

Angelo Gonzales, executive director of Shoshone Bannock Tribes, said in a press release: "At this time we ask and highly encourage all individuals to please stay out of the area."

The Fort Hall Emergency Operations Center was activated to better coordinate the law enforcement response to the standoff.

In addition to the FBI, SWAT teams, Idaho Falls bomb squad and Fort Hall police at the scene, staff from several Fort Hall departments, including Corrections, Transportation, Fish and Game, Public Safety and Housing Management, assisted with the incident.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM


Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)