Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

every night he cries over his deceased pet

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies
My son is 8. 2 years ago, the guinea pig we had passed away.

The guinea pig's story- my sister got her a few months before my son was born. She kept her as long as she could, but the last almost 2 years, she couldn't care for her correctly (changing the cage, maintaining her health care like clipping her nails, playing with her, etc) so I took over.

She was a great pet. I spent over $3,000 when she got sick within a day and passed (i took her to the vet hospital. I know, sounds stupid bc she was elderly and just a pet but i cared for her). Ds barely acknowledged her. I tried to teach him responsibility with just filling her water can, food bowl, brushing her, whatever. No interest. Which is fine. He wasn't into it and I enjoyed her.

when she first passed away, he did cry a little bit but nothing major.

Now though? It's every night! I want GG back. I'm so sad, I miss her. The first few times i tried to comfort him, but now, it's like go to bed. We can talk about her tomorrow (which we never do).

Idk if this is a ploy to stay awake later or what. No idea what to do. I don't want to... i guess shun his feelings, but i feel like it's manipulation since it's only at night.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:30 AM

Let me decode for you:  only crying at night for a GP that's been dead for 2 yrs that he never really cared for?  Yup, he doesn't wanna go to bed!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:34 AM
I know but it's those heart wrenching tears. The kind that, as a mother, you would move mountains for, to get them to stop.

Damn. When did he become such a good manipulator?!

I'm also scared that if I don't acknowledge these "feelings" he has, will he hold it against me and not come to me when he really does feel bad?

Being a mom is tough.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Let me decode for you:  only crying at night for a GP that's been dead for 2 yrs that he never really cared for?  Yup, he doesn't wanna go to bed!

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:36 AM

It's a tactic.

When my son tried this (with a deceased fish of all things) I gave him a journal and said he could write about it quietly in his room.  He was always asleep before 10 mins were up, and he never wrote about the dang fish.  He just drew pictures of ninjas.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:40 AM
I might have to try this. Last year they did a journal in school and i kept it going through the summer, to help with his writing. We stopped since he's back in school but this may be perfect.

his choice of drawing would be mine craft lol

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's a tactic.

When my son tried this (with a deceased fish of all things) I gave him a journal and said he could write about it quietly in his room.  He was always asleep before 10 mins were up, and he never wrote about the dang fish.  He just drew pictures of ninjas.

AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:46 AM
I'm no help, my kids really do miss their pets, but don't use them as an excuse to stay up. I think the journal idea is a good one though.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:48 AM

LOL. yeah.

I got one of those adhesive push lights and put it by the headboard.  I'd sneak in and turn it off after he fell asleep.

Quoting Anonymous 1: I might have to try this. Last year they did a journal in school and i kept it going through the summer, to help with his writing. We stopped since he's back in school but this may be perfect. his choice of drawing would be mine craft lol
Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

It's a tactic.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)