Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you expect this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 17 Replies

So I just moved into this house I am living in, in July and the people who own this house is going through a middle person (century 21) who communicate with us and the owner. Well we were told it was OK to move in and that the house just got remodeled and painted. So we get here and it's freaking dirty as hell the floor was nasty dirty. I couldn't let my baby crawl until I cleaned it. It was basically a half butt job. Well a couple weeks ago we were told the owner hired a contractor to remodel it and paint it and apparently he ran off with the money and didn't do anything. The owner of this house has Alzheimer's disease so I don't blame her for it but I do blame Century 21 for it because they were suppose to come and look at the house to make sure it was clean and everything was done and not dangerous. They never did their part. 

Well today the painters Century 21 sent over came and stayed for a long time. It was dinner time and I made kids dinner (I didn't eat because I'm fasting today). Well I wanted to ask them if they were hungry but they were working so I thought I could give them homemade cookies (I spent all day today baking them) before they left but I feel like they felt insulted because I only made enough for my kids to eat. If you were hired to work at someone's house would you expect to get invited to eat with their kids? 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TotallyTweedles
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Bless your heart. Is this a serious question?
kfroz0415
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:59 AM
Heavens no. They are contracted workers, not guests. I would have offered them ice water, but nothing else.
sarbear8508
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Not at all! It's not your job to feed them and they're not getting paid to eat. That being said I offer, but for them to come over expecting it? No.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh I did but they said they had their own stuff to drink. I did give them a bag of cookies to take home. 

Quoting kfroz0415: Heavens no. They are contracted workers, not guests. I would have offered them ice water, but nothing else.

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Ummm.....lol. No, not at all. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:03 AM
My husband is a painter. He works for a company and does free lance work. He has been on job sites for breakfast lunch and dinner and him nor his coworkers never expected to be fed on the job. Even when he does free lance work, which is when he generally is around at dinner, he's been invited to eat and he's had a left over plate offered to take home, he politely declines. Now yes he has brought home cookies or muffins that were made on free lance jobs, and he always told whomever he was painting for to consider it his bonus lol.

My dad was an electrician for many years and he never expected food. It's always nice to be offered but even that should not (and wasn't) expected from my father or husband.
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:04 AM

No, you don't have to feed hired help unless that is part of the contract.  But since you didn't hire them, that still wasn't your concern.

They should get a meal break, or they can eat when they get done.

Kerosene3825
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:05 AM
I'm not sure what the question is here? Are you complaining about the lack of professionalism from century 21 or asking if you should have to feed workers? Either way.. Century 21 screwed up.. And no, you have no moral obligation to invite workers to eat with your kids. You don't know those people and they are being paid for a job. If they gave an impression of being aggravated that you didn't invite them to pull up a chair, then I'd call and complain. They are paid laborers not family members helping you out..
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:06 AM

Yes because after my kids were fed and full the woman I think was the man's wife started acting snotty towards me before she left but the man was so sweet to me. 

Quoting TotallyTweedles: Bless your heart. Is this a serious question?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:08 AM
No! My parents are remodeling their home and have contractors there every day. My mom orders them pizza or goes and gets them fast food. I told her it is strange but nice. No one does that and the workers do not expect it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)