Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cutting -- UPDATE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 26 Replies

9/23/14 Ok, well I picked her up from school & we drove into town for special treats.  She was wearing her jacket again.  I was pretty unhappy to see that but just before she got into the car she pushed the sleeves all the way up.  I scrutinized her arms.  No signs.  

I asked if she knew the school was concerned about the marks on her arms.  She said, yeah they were weird.  They freaked out over some scratches she assured them were minor and would disappear soon.  I asked if she had ever gotten hives.  She said yeah she did and they were itchy.  She said "they're not hives, dad calls them something else but I can't remember what."  I haven't had a chance to talk with him yet but this rings of truth.

Now, the rough times in my house have to do with her dad and we aren't communicating very well lately.  If I even ask him if he thinks she could cut herself, he'll flip shit.  I don't think she would cut herself either, but aren't parents often the blindest?  It doesn't hurt to look into it, but he doesn't see it that way.

So.  Ladies.  THANK YOU.  We had more a talk but the long & short of it is that I don't believe she is cutting herself.  She eventually took her jacket off (I left the AC in the car off) and I could see under arms and up to her shoulders with her tank styled dress on.  BTW she's 11.  She spent all summer in a swim suit in our yard and I know she didn't have any cuts on her thighs or stomach.  My conclusion is that she is NOT cutting herself.

****************************************************************************************

::: sigh ::: not sure where to start with this.

The school suspects my daughter has been cutting herself.

I don't recall seeing any signs of her cutting herself.  She often wears tank tops & jogging shorts.  But I do recall on a couple of occasions she insisted on wearing a jacket or a long sleeve shirt even though it was not weather appropriate.

She is more moody lately.  Doesn't want to talk very much with me and her humor is more mean to towards her siblings.  But she still laughs, still has lots of friends, they get together frequently....

But life is rough in our house right now.  So there is potential cause.  There is no possibility of sexual abuse.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:34 AM

Is she seeing a therapist? If not, she should be.

sweet.daydream
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:35 AM
That's hard. It can still happen even though she is still social. ((Hugs))
tashibaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM
Sit down and talk to her.
Bri.Kasey
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:36 AM
Try and approach her, with delicasy.
Don't be judgemental or mean. Supportive in her getting help with it if needed.

Good luck
krbaybay
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:37 AM
There doesn't have to be sexual abuse of a "cause." She is hiding it for a reason. Most cutters dont want people to know. I would take a peak at her inner thighs and belly/breasts. Also get her to a therapist who has experience with cutting asap. Cutting can be a life- long struggle/coping mechanism.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:37 AM
I had friends when I used to cut myself. It wasn't about that. I hated the inconsistency at home and I struggled with an eating disorder.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Why?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:40 AM
I'm glad you're doing something. I was cutting myself when I was 16. My aunt noticed it and I assumed she told my mom, but my mom didn't do anything. I didn't get any professional help, my mom thinks therapy is only for crazy people. It was a tough life for me but I'm stronger person now.
Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Because cutting is a serious issue that deserves professional help.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Why?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:53 AM

I absolutely get that.  But we don't have any concrete evidence.  I'm not sure how to approach it with her or what to expect with her answers, or what I should be looking for when she does answer me.

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Because cutting is a serious issue that deserves professional help.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Why?

Quoting Hannahluvsdogs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)