Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Sick baby!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 36 Replies
Baby is officially sick for the first time. Very congested… coughing… some sneezing. His throat probably hurts and he lost most of his voice. He is refusing to drink his bottle. The only thing he will drink is Ricola natural cough drops dissolved in some water. It basically makes a natural herb tea with menthol. At least it's helping his throat, I guess. He has Vick's on his chest. All he wants to do is cling to me. Poor baby. Any other at-home solutions for a 5.5mo old until I can get him in? 😞
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Spam72
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:55 AM
Yikes! I didn't know you could put Vicks on the chest of a baby that young! I put it on the feet.
Just nurse your baby often. Your milk will be custom made with the antibodies your baby needs to fight illness. The other cool part is you get the antibodies too! You both stay healthier!
pinktardis
by Pinky on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:56 AM
Turn the water on in the shower as hot as it'll go and let the steam build up for a few minutes, then go in there with him and sit in it like a sauna.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:57 AM
He's formula fed.

Quoting Spam72: Yikes! I didn't know you could put Vicks on the chest of a baby that young! I put it on the feet.
Just nurse your baby often. Your milk will be custom made with the antibodies your baby needs to fight illness. The other cool part is you get the antibodies too! You both stay healthier!
Christywf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:58 AM

Whats his temp? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Quoting Christywf:

Whats his temp? 

HIJKLM
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 2:59 AM
Eh I'm not sure the cough drops or the Vicks is safe that young. I agree with the steamy bathroom sauna idea.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:02 AM
I did 2 per 5oz water. He's only drinking .5-1oz at a time. Normally he drinks 4-7 oz of formula each feeding during the night. I just didnt know what else to do that would help his throat. We live in a small town where everywhere is closed. He basically went to sleep for a little while and woke up this way. 😕

Quoting HIJKLM: Eh I'm not sure the cough drops or the Vicks is safe that young. I agree with the steamy bathroom sauna idea.
Christywf
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:03 AM

It may be allergies then (airborne....like weeds, pollen, etc).. However, keep an eye on his temp in the meantime.  Don't put Vicks on him since he's so young.  He may accidentally touch his chest and ingest it which can make things worse.  Not to freak you out.  Do the hot steam shower thing as some other ladies here mentioned and keep a close eye on him. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: 99.3
Quoting Christywf:

Whats his temp? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:06 AM
Can her get to it wearing high-colar long sleeve shirt and bib? I tried to cover it as much as possible. 😕 How long does it take for a fever to show?

Quoting Christywf:

It may be allergies then (airborne....like weeds, pollen, etc).. However, keep an eye on his temp in the meantime.  Don't put Vicks on him since he's so young.  He may accidentally touch his chest and ingest it which can make things worse.  Not to freak you out.  Do the hot steam shower thing as some other ladies here mentioned and keep a close eye on him. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: 99.3

Quoting Christywf:

Whats his temp? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:06 AM

I would go with Tylenol for fever & Hylands tiny cold tablets. That's it until he sees a doc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)