Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you keep your child out of school for this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 29 Replies
I got a call from the school nurse yesterday. Dd had a pretty horrible earache, and she could see fluid on her eardrum.
I picked her up and took her to the pedi. She does have an ear infection. They said she can go back to school because she isn't.contagious, but it would probably be Thursday until her ear stops hurting with the medication.
This morning she was crying with it, and just seems off balance. I decided to keep her out. However, the school is strict about absences. I am not sure if they will say something because she had the OK to go back?
This is her first absence. They started back August 4th
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roxygurl
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
If she's in pain then she isn't going to be learning very much or paying attention so I would keep her home. Call her doctor and ask for ear drops for the pain and explain you kept her home and ask for a note excusing her today, they will probably oblige.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Decemberlov
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM
2 moms liked this
id definitely keep her home. ear infections are so. painful. you might get less flash from them if you ask to pickup school work for her. even so, I wouldn't really care what they say.
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM

Yes I would. Especially if he was crying. How can I expect him to do his best if he is feeling his worst. 

hopeful_leslie
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
I'd tell the school right where to go! Nobody knows your child like you do. And yes if my child was hurting I'd keep them home to rest and let the meds kick in
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM
I would probably send my kiddo back to school, but only because I know mine are prone to more serious illness throughout the winter and will miss school then. However, if she hasn't been on the antibiotic for 24 hours, I'd keep her home and tell them that you felt 24 hours on the antibiotic was necessary. They probably won't have an issue with it because they sent her home in the first place .
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

I don't see it as a big deal. Strict or not she's sick and not well. If she's super off balance thats not going to be good for her especially if there's a lot of stairs. I would have kept her home too. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

Of course I would keep her home.

What does that even mean anyway "strict about absences"....shes your child, keep her home if you want. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

I'd keep mine home if they were in pain.  They're not going to be able to learn everything they need to if they're hurting the whole time.  Just get a note from the dr and have it say she can go back thursday. 

Liastele
by Lauren on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

The school nurse is the one that sent her home and has documented that she was sick. I wouldn't be stressed if she misses a day or two over it.

momto3B
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

You daughter has a painful ear infection - I would definitely keep her home. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)