Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

moms who were diagnosed with a mood disorder as a teen

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
What was your mood disorder and what was you like as a teen? What symptoms did you exhibit?

My daughter is almost 15. Atm, we aren't having issues so I can type with a clear mind now.

Anyways, my daughter has a mood disorder we are just unsure of which one. I have brought all of the stuff the doctor attention. He has her medicated. The issue is he won't give us a specific diagnosed. She us schedule to see another doctor but that is in November.

She goes back to this doctor on October 8th. I also know she has ADD. He took her off of meds for adhd but I am going to have him put her back on them because she is having issues focusing in school.

Here are some of the issues associated with the mood disorder. Cutting, impulse control, extreme mood changes. ( not normal mood changes) I am talking split second changes one minute she hates you and wantd to kill you, screaming cussing, next she is crying how she hates her life and wants to die, next she is happy and. Saying I love you mommy. This will go on for hours 2 or 3 hours of back and forth between them, lying I am not talking small lies more like she makes up stories. Stories about stuff she does that isn't even remotely true. I fear these stories is going cause problems in school ruin her reputation. I found a letter to her friend in her backpack. She swears up and down she didn't write it but it blew my mind and it was her. I know her hand writing. The stuff she wrote it OMG. ( I would state the content on the letter but I just can't), she is muniplative, consquences turn into a huge battle she will get violent, scream, yell, threaten to run away, threaten to kill herself.

She is on meds and since changing her meds the incident aren't daily anymore. But still weekly. She isn't always like this. When she isn't going through all of this she is sweet, loving and caring. My little girl or big girl but when she is having these issues she changes. Changes to someone I don't know someone I don't want to be around. She also steals and can't take no for an answer. She is also in therapy too.

I really don't know what I am dealing with here and neither does she. She thinks she's crazy and I've told her she isn't crazy she just has a mental disorder that we have to figure out. She can't explain why this stuff happens and sometimes she doesn't remember everything.

She was diagnosed with depression last year and a mood disorder a few months ago. She has been caught sexting. We suspected that she was sneaking out. Punishments don't work, before someone says beat her ass. Spanking never worked with her. All of these issues started at age 12. I do suspect she was depressed as a small child I just didn't see itn I just thought she was quit and shy

So anyone have these issues as a teen and diagnosed with some type of mood disorder? What was it?

Thanks. Sorry for typos this is long and I am mobile. And sometimes auto correct messes my post up.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Remy11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:41 AM
My opinion.. Don't worry about which one. Most of the time mood disorders do not fully develop until young adulthood. At that time they can be isolated diagnostically. If the medication is working on the symptoms that's what is important. Also keeping it general will help later in life with things like getting life insurance or private medical insurance.
Remy11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:42 AM
Also medicating for ADD and a mood disorder is tricky and many times they are taken off the add meds to see the success of the mood disorder meds. One effects the other.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:44 AM
My biggest fear is that if we don't find out which one it is she will battle it on adult hood. I worry about her future. Will she graduated, will she be sble to hold down a career, have family, .will she turn to drugs, get pregnant young

Quoting Remy11: My opinion.. Don't worry about which one. Most of the time mood disorders do not fully develop until young adulthood. At that time they can be isolated diagnostically. If the medication is working on the symptoms that's what is important. Also keeping it general will help later in life with things like getting life insurance or private medical insurance.
BoSoxJazzy
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM
I was diagnosed with manic depression (bipolar) when I was 14 after an attempted suicide. She sounds like how I was.
The meds take a bit to find what works and what dose.
My mom actually had me go to the state for a year, in a group home, to get me the intense work I needed.

You need to find her some coping skills, help her start to recognize when she's becoming manic so she can redirect. For coping skills I had writing, music always music all kinds. And a physical activity.
I'm heading to work right now but if you message me I will hell you any way I can even if it's just support and sympathy.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:45 AM
Yea I know. Adhd meds can affect the mood disorder. I am going to mention a non stimulate see if she can take those. She is failing in school. Terrible grades.

Quoting Remy11: Also medicating for ADD and a mood disorder is tricky and many times they are taken off the add meds to see the success of the mood disorder meds. One effects the other.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
I was diagnosed in my early 20s, but I'd been having problems since puberty.

I understand wanting a name for what's wrong. Wanting to say this is what it is, so I know this is what to do about it. But, honestly, is it so important? The meds seem to be working, improving the situation, so her doctors are doing something right.

Go with the flow, it's all you can really do. Reassure her you love her and hold on.
Nicoleb9
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Are you sure it's not a personality disorder as opposed to a mood disorder?

Just a thought...
Remy11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:49 AM
I understand how you feel by realize a diagnosis is just to explain characteristics and to give a guideline for treatment. With medicating adolescents it's constantly changing due to their growth and hormone involvement. Isolating which mood disorder it is won't change that. Just keep on top of it so they can't tweak the meds to be just right. She will learn from you how to mange her illness.

Quoting Anonymous 1: My biggest fear is that if we don't find out which one it is she will battle it on adult hood. I worry about her future. Will she graduated, will she be sble to hold down a career, have family, .will she turn to drugs, get pregnant young

Quoting Remy11: My opinion.. Don't worry about which one. Most of the time mood disorders do not fully develop until young adulthood. At that time they can be isolated diagnostically. If the medication is working on the symptoms that's what is important. Also keeping it general will help later in life with things like getting life insurance or private medical insurance.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:51 AM
I've suspect that too. I am going by the doctor. I look it all up. I see so many symptoms that fits different disorders. Personally disorder, bipolar etc.. I just don't know.

Quoting Nicoleb9: Are you sure it's not a personality disorder as opposed to a mood disorder?

Just a thought...
CAT_NIP
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:52 AM
She could be bipolar. The manic side being impulsivity, out of control moods, etc, while the depressive side has her so low that's she is cutting.

My exSIL is bipolar and she did a lot of what you are saying your daughter does. The out of control moods, the impulsivity, the cutting. She abuses drugs and alcohol to medicate :-/

Hopefully you can get her some counseling and therapy/meds.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)