Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my kid has freaking lice!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
  • 38 Replies
Ugh I swear this has been the mo the from hell. My dh has been gone since the 7th, I'm not exactly sure when he will be home. I got a cold from hell the day he left, k ocker me on my feet for a good 5 days!

Then my kids got it, then my youngest barfed for 2 days.

And now freaking lice!

I bought the treatment stuff that also came with spray for the house to spray bedding and furniture. We are bagging up all stuffed animals right now and washing everything we can...

Is that enough, or should I be doing more?
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:26 AM
That's about all you can do. And spray their hair everyday with hairspray to prevent the little bastards from coming back. Wash the bedding on hot
brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I also swear by the hair spray method! My son was one of only  5 kids in his class that did not get lice last year during a bad out break. I have always used hair spray in his hair before school.

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's about all you can do. And spray their hair everyday with hairspray to prevent the little bastards from coming back. Wash the bedding on hot

mlpcrusader
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
Yeah I've been washing bedding, pillows and blankets on hot. I have to wait about 30 minutes between loads or I'll run out of hot water. Boo. I have hairspray! I'll have to try that. Since god only knows where she got it from. :(

Quoting Anonymous 1: That's about all you can do. And spray their hair everyday with hairspray to prevent the little bastards from coming back. Wash the bedding on hot
mlpcrusader
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:33 PM
Glad to hear 2 different people say that about the hairspray. I will do that. Thanks!

Quoting brettsmomma:

I also swear by the hair spray method! My son was one of only  5 kids in his class that did not get lice last year during a bad out break. I have always used hair spray in his hair before school.

JulieSantee
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Sadly, due to experience with extended family, I'm very experienced with headlice.    First off, you DO NOT need to spray your furniture, wash your linens, or bag up the stuff animals.  Any lice that have fallen out are usually about ready to die anyways, and if they aren't they'll be dead in 48 hours without a human host.  At most, I'd change out pillow cases every night as a precaution.  You also don't need the harsh chemicals. You can use plain old conditioner.  It'll smother the lice for a while making them slower and easier to comb out.  It isn't chemicals that get rid of the lice, it's consistency.   You need to be sure to comb yours kids carefully with the lice comb every day for at least two weeks.   Eggs hatch with in a week, and if eggs are being laid every day, then they're being hatched every day as well.   Get those sucker out when they're young and still can't reproduce.  After you're sure the kids are clean, a few drops of tea tree oil in their shampoo bottles can help keep the lice away.  That stuff is awesome!  The hairspray works as well.  Good luck on getting rid of them!

twinkersmom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Braid if you can, her hair every night and spray it down before bed. Make sure EVERYONE is checked. If you miss one, ONE nit/egg, it can be hard to get rid of. I had the nurse at my kids' school check me. I spent tons of money on kits at Walmart. We fought and fought with that crap for awhile. I finally did a search online. Found a salon that works on lice treatment only. If kids had nits in our school they could stay but if there were live ones, they were sent home and no, letters were not sent home about an outbreak. Good luck to you.

mlpcrusader
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:51 PM
That's just what WebMD said to do which is why I am doing all that. My youngest the one I cough with it I combed out at least 6 adults. Plenty of eggs, or I guess eggs? They were brownish looking and just tiny tiny dots. I will be checking obsessively from now on. I have no clue how long she's had this too, as she just started complaining today. I'm very surprised that my oldest doesn't have any, I treated her hair too and didn't see anything when I was brushing with the nit comb.

But dang my poor baby I can't believe how much I brushed out. :(

Quoting JulieSantee:

Sadly, due to experience with extended family, I'm very experienced with headlice.    First off, you DO NOT need to spray your furniture, wash your linens, or bag up the stuff animals.  Any lice that have fallen out are usually about ready to die anyways, and if they aren't they'll be dead in 48 hours without a human host.  At most, I'd change out pillow cases every night as a precaution.  You also don't need the harsh chemicals. You can use plain old conditioner.  It'll smother the lice for a while making them slower and easier to comb out.  It isn't chemicals that get rid of the lice, it's consistency.   You need to be sure to comb yours kids carefully with the lice comb every day for at least two weeks.   Eggs hatch with in a week, and if eggs are being laid every day, then they're being hatched every day as well.   Get those sucker out when they're young and still can't reproduce.  After you're sure the kids are clean, a few drops of tea tree oil in their shampoo bottles can help keep the lice away.  That stuff is awesome!  The hairspray works as well.  Good luck on getting rid of them!

mlpcrusader
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Why the braids? I'll try her hair is not all one length. Have had a few bad haircuts. :(

Quoting twinkersmom:

Braid if you can, her hair every night and spray it down before bed. Make sure EVERYONE is checked. If you miss one, ONE nit/egg, it can be hard to get rid of. I had the nurse at my kids' school check me. I spent tons of money on kits at Walmart. We fought and fought with that crap for awhile. I finally did a search online. Found a salon that works on lice treatment only. If kids had nits in our school they could stay but if there were live ones, they were sent home and no, letters were not sent home about an outbreak. Good luck to you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Treat EVERYBODY in the house for lice or else it's going to spread.  Clean everything every day. Bedsheets, throw pillows in the dryer on high heat for 30 mins. Vacuum floors, mattresses, couches, etc. every single day.

My oldest came home with lice last school year and it was a good 3 weeks before it was gone, and everyone in the house ended up getting it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:57 PM

i know the feeling, I use the Listerine and vinger treatment. works really good.put Listerine month wash i get the doller tree brand. in hair cover leve it about 2 hr  then put vinger and lev it about an hr. then rinse it out and put conditioner in it and comb dead bugs and eggs. the bug are not that bad to get rid of its the eggs that are a pain in the ass. i do that evrtime my dd gets them from school and it works better any any over the conter treatment i've used.

you relly have to use hot water if you have a dryer the dryer dose good.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)