Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son told me Daddy comes and visits him sometimes

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 56 Replies

Problem is my husband (his dad) has been dead for 3 1/2 years. He killed himself. He suffered from PTSD. He was  in Iraq and Afghanistan between 2004 and 2008. My son was only 3 when he killed himself. I caught my son talking to someone this morning when I was getting him up for school but no one was there. I have seen him do this a few times over the last year. I finally decided I need to know what is going on. He told me that daddy comes and visits him sometimes before he goes to bed and when he wakes up. He said that he wasnt supposed to tell me because I  would get scared for him. I asked him what they talk about and he said we just talk about stuff. He asks about you. I am really freaked out because as I am really religious I do not believe that the dead can just show up in you room. Should I take my son to a psychologist? Is this just him acting out because his dad is gone. He has no idea how his dad died. I plan to tell him when he is older.... a lot older. Please any advice?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corticosteroid
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:08 AM
13 moms liked this

My advice would be, listen to what he's saying in an interested and relatively cheerful way.  Don't make him think this is weird or wrong.   This is healthy and normal, it's his way of moving through pain.  So let him.

tashibaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM
Let him work though it.
two4one
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

It's his way of dealing withthe situation. He is still very young. 6 year olds still can have imaginary friends. Let him have this. I am sure it is very painful for you to hear that he does this. Try to take comfort in the fact that he is finding solace by "talking" to his dad.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Whether you believe it's real or not, he does.  If it is helpful for your son, then leave it be.  If it's hurting him, then take him to see somebody.  

CrimsonRadiance
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

He is coping with his father's death. Let it work it's course. 

purplemonkey702
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

leave him be. he is just processing his grief in his own way

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I believe he may be getting visits from his father. My child sometimes talks to her brother that passed. she said much the same thing,. Problem is my son passed many years before my current child was born and I never once told her about her brother before this happened. 

but I see how that sounds crazy.And most people would laugh at me. thus the anon...  maybe just talk to your kid about his father and if it continues then take him to a therapist to help him thru this time. 

SmallTown_Momma
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

if this helps him to cope with a parents loss, why are you going to make a big deal out of it?

i believe that young children DO see spirits because their minds are still innocent and they haven't been taught that they shouldn't see them, or to ignore them...

my advice is to leave it be , and to be there for him when he wants to talk about it...besides, its a helpful reminder of your husband and you can use this oppurtunity to tell your son stories about his father.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:14 AM

I believe kids can see spirits and ghost.  It probably is a good ideal for him to talk to someone but he probably is just missing his dad.  My aunt pasted away 4 years ago and I talk to her whenever I feel the need.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this

I would leave him be.

My mom passed away in April, and my son tells me he talks to her at night sometimes. I think it helps him out a lot, honestly. He is five years old. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)