Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Failing PE

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 113 Replies
i need opinions on if I should call the school over this or not. My 7 year old daughter just brought home her progress report yesterday. All À's, EXCEPT IN PE she had à B :/ I asked her if she just didnt participate one day or anything and she said no.
So I go online to the parent portal and look and sure enough she has all her participation points but she failed à "coordination test" which brought her grade to à B. I asked her what this test was and she said you had to do things like skip, catch balls they throw at you, dribble à basket ball, do pull ups, etc.
Now I have no problem if they want to test the kids' abilities, let thr parents know if they think there's a problem or anything like that, BUT we know my child has no coordination. We have her in dance and gymnastics trying to improve that. Her farther is also extremely uncoordinated. She shouldn't be punished with à failing grade for something she can not control!!! It makes no sense! Should I call and talk to the PE teacher?
BTW sorry for typos, on my cell and trying to feed baby at the same time.

I guess i need to add some things. They were never graded on ability in PE until the new PE teacher took over this year. It was always participation based. Im not the only one upset about it.

Having issues in math,reading, etc ia not the same as having problems in PE. Kids who have problems with actual subjects are offered all kinds of free tutors on the weekends, free websites to help them, free workshop for parents to teach parents how to help them and if theyre really struggling theyre pulled out of class for one on one tutoring.(it Might not be Mike that where you are but it's like that here). They offer help for the core subjects. Now if they start offering free PE tutoring to teach her how to climb that rôpe or do a pull up, then I will Send her....but we all know that's not going to happen and there's only so much I can do to help her. How coordinated you are does not effect life. My husband is just as uncoordinated at my daughter and he has made it through life fine, has à well paying job and everything.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PoisonEyeV
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Does a B mean something totally different in your school or something? That's not a failing grade...

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

A 'B' is not a failing grade.Are you serious with this?

sunsetchick34
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM
2 moms liked this

Mobile Photo

Are u serious???
mrswillie
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM
B is failing? You are over reacting.
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Lol seriously! ?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
No, but according to my daughter the teacher said they're going to do these tests twice à month and theyre going to get harder. So basically she will be failing because if she cant do the easy tests, she wont be able to do the harder ones.

Quoting PoisonEyeV:

Does a B mean something totally different in your school or something? That's not a failing grade...

Sara-1989
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this
As a PE teacher, I'd laugh you out of my class.

It's a B. If she can't do those things then the grade is appropriate. Should she have gotten a better grade because you "know" she's uncoordinated?
AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
While agree that grading kids in coordination is stupid, she has a B. That's not a terrible grade.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:24 AM
No, but according to my daughter the teacher said they're going to do these tests twice à month and theyre going to get harder. So basically she will be failing because if she cant do the easy tests, she wont be able to do the harder ones.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

A 'B' is not a failing grade.Are you serious with this?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM
2 moms liked this

The fact is that all grades are somewhat based upon some of our natural abilities. Math is harder for some kids, some kids have trouble reading. Their grades reflect that their skills are not as strong in those areas.  Why should it not be the same for PE? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)