Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Boarding school?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM
  • 20 Replies

Poll

Question: If you had the money, would you send your children to boarding/private schools?

Options:

Yes, but to one near us so we can visit often

Yes, in another country so they can experience the world!

No thanks, boarding school is not our cup of tea

I'm on the fence....

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 24

View Results

Has anyone here gone to one?

Are your children at one? What is your reasoning for doing so?

I just received a magazine about Private & Independent schools, saying that sending your child to boarding school helps them so much in their emotional preparation for University.

Is that because they are away from home with an academic advisor assigned to them?

Why can't the parents advise them? I just can't wrap my head around sending my kids away for school at such a young age! There are so many resources now available for us to look at together to help our children make decisions about school, I just don't understand this reasoning!

Is that considered selfish of me to want them to be home with their family and friends while attending school?

Not that I can afford it, but if I could, I still don't think I would send them.

Thoughts?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bornstar
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:00 AM
If I had the money for boarding school, I would send them.

I would have loved to spend a high school year or two studying abroad.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
Well our oldest is in private school (preschool) but we wouldn't send any of our kids to a boarding school.
KyliesMom5
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM
I went to a boarding school for two years because the schools in our district were crap. My parents planned to move across town to a better district but it took them a year and a half to sell the house. The first year was hard in the beginning but I loved it there. Oakland is an amazing school and I would send my daughter there in a heartbeat if she needed that school. But if I could manage it she would be a day student. If not that would be okay to because I know she would be in good hands. Many of the teachers I had are still there.
lukesmom2002
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM

My son is in a private school now and it is around 6000 a year. I wouldn't send him to a boarding school where someone else is raising him pretty much full time.  I don't care what others do but I couldn't do that.  My son loves family and being around us. He is confident and will be ready for college when the time comes without us sending him away. 

AnnieGoolaheey
by Mrs. Annie Proffitt on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:07 AM
No.
-Chunky-Monkey-
by ***LeeCee*** on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:12 AM

If my kiddos really wanted to go and we could afford it then yes I would consider it, but it would have to be close to us so we could visit often & they would have to be at least in high school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM

I think time is too short with your kids so no, I wouldn't send them. I didn't go to a boarding school and I was just fine when it came time to go to University.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Keyser Söze on Dec. 19, 2014 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

For me, being better prepared for college is low on the list of reasons. My DD is applying to boarding schools right now. She starts high school next year and it was her idea. At first I told her no way, because we certainly can't afford it, but then my parents offered to pay for it if she goes to a school in their country. Part of me doesn't want her to go, because I'm going to worry about her and miss having her here. But I don't want to hold her back for selfish reasons, I swore I'd never be that kind of parent. It's an unbelievable opportunity for her. The quality of education is better - the school district we live in is in the top 10% of districts in California but that's mediocre compared to the rest of the world. Smaller class sizes, closer relationships with teachers and peers, fewer distractions (especially if she chooses the one all-girls school she's applying to), learning for the sake of learning instead of teaching to a test. All five schools she's applying to have incredible campuses and facilities, and more resources for sports and extra-curriculars, things that are being cut in public schools. And kids who go to boarding school come from all over the world, she is going to learn so much about other cultures and values. Plus the field trips - these schools take trips to other countries, not just other cities.

All of this experience is going to be a huge boost to her college applications, and the independence and responsibility she'll learn will help her in college, but the kind of person she'll become is the most important thing to me. I want her to have these opportunities she'd never have here at home, I want her to be successful and grow to her full potential. Boarding schools provide the best environment for that. I don't think they're the best choice for every child or even all of my children, but for my DD it absolutely is.

Carmel63
by Gold Member on Dec. 19, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I live in Massachusetts, so boarding schools are a little bit more of the culture for the upper class.  I live in an academy town, and I have family and friends that have attended boarding schools as day students, and as residents.  These schools are not for everyone.  For the best and the brightest, they offer more resources than you could find almost anywhere.  The boarding school near me could easily be mistaken for an elite college.  This is really a lifestyle choice.  My experience is that these schools really take over the students life.  Even day students need to arrive for breakfast, are required to play a sport, and stay until AFTER the dinner study period.  The school near me is a feeder for the Ivies.  About a third of the graduating class goes on to an Ivy, Stanford, or MIT.  That still leaves a long list of top tier college that the rest enroll in.

jen2150
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:14 AM
I went in the 11th grade and loved it. It prepared me for college very well. Some are better than others. I would only send my kids if they wanted to go. The likelihood is low though since we homeschool. They love their freedom. You decide what age is right.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)