Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

would you think this guy was a jerk? saw this at the store yesterday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 499 Replies
1 mom liked this
a small grocery store/bakery in my town makes amazing red velvet cupcakes, but only twice a week. they're sold out by 5:30pm at the lastest. yesterday i was doing my shopping and I saw the line at the bakery counter. there was a young guy ahead of a mom and a little boy who was obviously special needs. the guy ordered the last cupcake and was still having his stuff bagged when the mom realized he bought the last one. she asked him really, really nicely if she could have it instead, and that she'd pay him extra because her son is SN and was really looking forward to it. he said "no", nothing else and went back to paying

her poor son then had a huge meltdown, was crying and moaning and his poor, frazzled looking mother had to drag him to the car. he looked at most 3 years old :( i thought the guy was such a jerk
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:02 AM
64 moms liked this
Why? He waited in Line just like everyone else. I wouldn't have given away my cupcake either
mayalove
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM
2 moms liked this
I ha e to disagree. The man was there first. He waited he payed. It's his
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:03 AM
71 moms liked this

No, I wouldn't think he was a jerk. It would have been amazing of him to give the cupcake to the kid but the kid shouldn't just get someone else's cupcake because he's sn. And honestly...I think it was rather rude of the mother to even ask that of a stranger in the first place.

hautemama83
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
10 moms liked this
Not at all. But I do think posts like this, with the mom and wailing child, are played the hell out.
shadowcat76
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
10 moms liked this
Actually no maybe he could have handled it better, but the world doesn't need to cater to sn kids. If you know that bakery runs out of stuff early, get there earlier.
sstripedmonkey
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:04 AM
5 moms liked this
Me personally I would have given it to him but in all reality the other guy was first. Its life.
wiener
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM
28 moms liked this
Was he a jerk? NO!!!! Was the mom who played the I have a special needs child card to get what she wanted. YES. Get used to it kid life is full of disappointments
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM
16 moms liked this
Umm... No. He was a paying customer who waited in line to get what he got. It's not like he snatched it out if the kids hand! It irritates the hell out of me that this guy is considered a "jerk" because he paid fir his stuff and didn't bend over backwards for someone else's kid. Sometimes we don't get what we want, that is the way life goes.

And by the way, the fact that you felt the need to point out that the child was sn is silly. What does that have to do with anything? He should get special treatment because of it?
Not_A_Native
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:05 AM
2 moms liked this

Not at all.  if it was that important, she would have gotten there earlier.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 11:06 AM
19 moms liked this

Special needs doesn't equal a life of babying by the rest of the world. Mom was wrong for even asking and the boy should have been punished for his meltdown. She isn't frazzled because of cupcake man, she's frazzled because she allows her son to run her household.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)