Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Flu shot?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM
  • 18 Replies
My son is soon to be 10 months, and his doctor would like him to get the flu shot. I had the flu shot once and had such a bad reactions I was in bed for 10 days. This is the only experience I have ever had with it. Both hubby and I do not get the flu shot, and we are pretty healthy (don't normally get sick).
Do you get this shot for your kids and why? I understand the benifits, but are there real risks, other than maybe a mild cold or some flu like symptoms?
Please I am not looking to get bashed, just looking for opinions, and experiences.
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
spunky946
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:18 PM

My kids have always gotten them and have never gotten sick from them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Never.

cranio-mama
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:19 PM
Never, as in don't get it?
Why?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Never.

PhantomRose88
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:20 PM
3 moms liked this

I never get the shot and will not for my kids.  They have immune systems for a reason. 

kellly
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM

I've never had the flu shot and my kids have never had the flu shot.  They don't even know what strand is going to be out in the next flu season, they just guess.  If i were you I would not let them give my child a flu shot...but it is your child and you have to make the choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

None of us have ever gotten the shot, or the flu (well, since I was much younger). We just don't feel the need to inject goodness-knows-what into our bodies for a perfectly manageable, temporary illness.

Quoting cranio-mama: Never, as in don't get it? Why?
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Never.

kewimom
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM
1 mom liked this
My twins received the RSV shots for the first 2 winters of theirs lives. However even their pediatrician does not give them the flu shot. He even believes that the flu changes too rapidly it is better to fight it off naturally. They are 11 now and get minor colds. For premiees they have been pretty healthy most of their life.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Ds has only gotten the flu shot once and that year he was sicker than ever so he doesn't get them anymore. ds2 will not get it either when he's older.

KikiKia
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I work at a med school.  everyone here (staff, faculty, students) get the flu shot.  The dean spoke to me about it (she is a pediatrician) and she put it best.  She said the flu shot does not prevent you from getting the flu...but it does prevent you from DYING from the flu.

That alone convinced me and my family to get the flu shot.  Like you, DH and I would go years without getting one.  We both got them this past year.

Not to mention articles like this circulating around saying 90% of children who die from the flu did not get the flu shot

ame19
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
It is totally up to you and how you feel about it. My mom made my brother and I get one until elementary and we always got sick and had bad reactions. Both my parents never had any reaction to it though. I didn't have another one until I was pregnant with my son and had another bad reaction. So I do not get them anymore. My SO also gets a bad allergic reaction and so with both us in the same ordeal we do not let our 3 yr old son get it either. If he wants to get it when he gets older that's fine. We also rarely get sick, just the basic ragweed allergies. Some people benefit from the flu shot and others do not. It's just like another shot or medicine. Not everyone can take everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)