Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My town is ruining Halloween for me!

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 244 Replies
Where I grew up, you dress up ON Halloween, go to doors, say "Trick or Treat!" and get your candy. It was great.

I moved out of state to my husbands home town and I hate it. They have what's called "Beggars Night", which is usually the day BEFORE Halloween and to get candy, the kids are expected to tell a joke at every single door. Ugh. My kid is too young to get "jokes" yet and last year, people (usually elderly) gave her a hard time about it (She was 2!!) Nobody trick or treats ON Halloween. It's so freaking weird to me.

I am shy and was especially as a child. I would've HATED this whole joke thing as a kid. I think we're taking them to the zoo this year. They have a special event where the kids can dress up and go around and see the animals and get candy. It seems better for little ones that way.

End rant. Lol
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:00 PM
9 moms liked this

Oh that sounds awful.

XxComplicatedxX
by ~Danielle~ on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM
Right? I hate it. It just doesn't make sense.

Quoting MrsDavidB25:

Oh that sounds awful.

Jblb
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:04 PM
That would suck!! Have fun at the zoo.
the.B.karma
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate when towns change anything about it, it happens ALL the time, all over the US, it's freaking STUPID as shit!!!

Most towns no longer do it on Halloween because it falls on a weekday, so they move it or postpone it, or they let weather get in the way. It's stupid. I only GO to the town(s) and tort in places that are open normally on Halloween night.

PeppermintyTea
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:07 PM
Oh man, corny!! I agree with just looking up other local events. There is no way my dd would tell jokes at every door at her age - she's shy to even say TOT without some encouragement. Not to mention you probably hear "boo, boo who?, don't cry!" 150 times.
Rlmama00
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Ugh! I would hate that. I grew up in NJ and we would go out from about 4ish until around 8, and all day if it fell on the weekend. We also have Mischief Night the night before. When we moved to the Cape Cod area I was shocked when our first Halloween was a Saturday and no one was out. The kids literally only trick or treat for an hour right when it gets dark. They don't do any parade at school or anything. It was so blah. Now we live near San Francisco and it's nice the way it's done here. The weather is great too. The kids aren't out as long as NJ, but still a significant amount of time. The town has lots of fun events too. I do know that it hasn't been the same the last 2 years because of hurricane Sandy. Hopefully things will be better back in my home state this year.
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:15 PM
2 moms liked this
I have an idea. Take some treat bags and fill them up with treats, then put a glow in the dark bracelet (glowing) through the bag and let the kids find them. It might or might not work for the toddler set, but I bet you could tweak it for your daughter and maybe a couple of friends. The zoo is an awesome idea too.
XxComplicatedxX
by ~Danielle~ on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:36 PM
I hate it too! In doing research I found out some lady created it in the 60's as a way to keep kids off the streets on Halloween because the crazies come out? Um, this is Iowa, not the middle east. Geez.

Quoting the.B.karma:

I hate when towns change anything about it, it happens ALL the time, all over the US, it's freaking STUPID as shit!!!

Most towns no longer do it on Halloween because it falls on a weekday, so they move it or postpone it, or they let weather get in the way. It's stupid. I only GO to the town(s) and tort in places that are open normally on Halloween night.

momasaurus420
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM
5 moms liked this
That's not Halloween, THAT'S A LIE!! :(
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:38 PM

LOL how is the next town that does it right?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)