Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

teen parents child support question? eta

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 10 Replies
How is child support determined if both parties are under aged and still living at home. How does a judge go about setting an amount for the father to pay. Who's income would they go off of? Say father is 16 and has a part time min wage job, would they just go off of that? This is something I have 0 experience with and was curious after seeing all of the teen parent posts today.

Eta... what if the father is too young to work? Or unable to work full time due to being a student
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM
They go off what the dad makes. And they determine how much he will be paying.
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Bump for eta
AllofFive19
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:19 PM
They have a minimum and would implement it if the dad didn't have a job, or use what he makes if he does.
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM
Thank you

Quoting AllofFive19: They have a minimum and would implement it if the dad didn't have a job, or use what he makes if he does.
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM
The actual parent(s) of the teen playing mommy to a child she has no business having end up supporting the both of them. Teen mothers child support = Grandparents support
SpnFulOfSugar
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:27 PM
Well yes that's usually the case with most teen mothers. I was just curious about the actual amount of child support and if the father's parents could be help fiscally accountable for the child.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: The actual parent(s) of the teen playing mommy to a child she has no business having end up supporting the both of them. Teen mothers child support = Grandparents support
Sydel
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM

I'm in Ohio and I my aunt's friend was 16 and the father was 14 when their dd was born. The boy's parents paid child support to the girl's mother.  Neither teenager received or paid out. Not sure if that was a court ordered arrangement or not.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:29 PM
In some states the parent (ie grandparent) is responsible until the teen parent turns 18. Also there's usually a minimum support that is ordered.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:30 PM
Yes they can be

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar: Well yes that's usually the case with most teen mothers. I was just curious about the actual amount of child support and if the father's parents could be help fiscally accountable for the child.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee: The actual parent(s) of the teen playing mommy to a child she has no business having end up supporting the both of them. Teen mothers child support = Grandparents support
MeAndTommyLee
by Angie on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:37 PM
I don't know. I'm also wondering if they should be help financially responsible in the first place since the teen mother makes all the decisions. Abortion, adoption...raise the baby etc. They excersised their options. Teen boys should have the very option to be a parent -- or not.

Quoting SpnFulOfSugar: Well yes that's usually the case with most teen mothers. I was just curious about the actual amount of child support and if the father's parents could be help fiscally accountable for the child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)