Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman breaks windshield to rescue baby from hot car despite warnings

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM
  • 26 Replies

SAN ANTONIO —

When a San Antonio woman noticed a baby left alone in a hot car, she ignored the warnings from bystanders and a security guard.

Angela Radtke smashed through the car windshield with a tire iron and crawled through the hole to unlock the door. 

"The security guard was yelling that I could possibly be arrested for breaking the window," Radtke told KENS.

But she said she was thinking, "I don't care if I get arrested. I'm saving this baby."

She very well might have. Officials looked at security footage and found the baby was left in the hot car for 40 minutes. The 1-year-old was taken to a hospital and treated for dehydration. 

Radtke's brave actions are quickly making headlines – with most pointing out she was warned by onlookers and the security guard to leave the situation alone.

With the 27 child vehicular heatstroke deaths in 2014 so far, many of those cases making national news, it's surprising others were reluctant to help her – and those who were afraid Radtke would be breaking the law probably didn't realize she'd be protected by one.

The basics of the Texas "Good Samaritan" Law are explained as this: "If you voluntarily attempt to help someone who is in an urgent situation as a result of an accident or other emergency, then you are protected from any liability for damages that may result from your care."

Radtke was questioned by officials after the incident but was released without charges shortly after. The father of the child said he forgot the baby was in the car, and he's now being charged with child endangerment.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
Wtf, how could those people stand around and do nothing other than tell her she'll be arrested?!
MYOB at its finest?
littlesippycup
by Baby T-rex Arms on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM
2 moms liked this

She was right to do that. It gets SO hot in Texas =/ 

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Right?  I would have done it in a heartbeat.

Quoting iamcafemom83: Wtf, how could those people stand around and do nothing other than tell her she'll be arrested?! MYOB at its finest?

Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for her. 40 minutes? That's insane.
smvrn20
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:44 PM
She was right to do it. I would have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:45 PM
2 moms liked this
Good for her! It must have took a lot of courage to do what she knew was right despite other people telling her not to do it
Manic_Sinner
by 5/27/2018🤰🏽 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Good for her. I would do the same thing. Fuck jail if it means I help an innocent baby.
nocalmegan
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM
Right?! It's lucky the baby was still alive.

Quoting Danesmommy1: Good for her. 40 minutes? That's insane.
amber710
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Good for her. Thats what I would do.

Its awesome that she did that, not knowing the Good Samaritan law. But I know it and would have told that security gaurd what a useless oaf he was at his job for not knowing basic area laws and ordinances.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Yeah her!

I hope she gets some sort of badge of honor.  I hope those saying not to do it feel guilty and horrified with themselves.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)