Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

does anyone here really understand what the role of a godparent is?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM
  • 41 Replies
1 mom liked this

a god parent is someone you name that looks after the chuild's religious education. They do not get custody of the child if the parents die, unless they are named guardians in the will. They stand up with the child at baptism or other religious rite and make it known they are helping with the child's religious journey. I am just wondering how many here understand this?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:08 PM
You dont necessarily have the child baptise to have god parents.
j3st3r
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Not all people believe that, especially in faiths that don't do infant baptism.

AuntieM
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Yes, you do. Hence the name GODparent. Godparents are supposed to help guide the child in religion and in life. They become Godparents at the christening or baptism. Without that event they are not true Godparents. They are a friend or family member.

Quoting Anonymous 1: You dont necessarily have the child baptise to have god parents.
cueballsmom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM
Not in my home. Godparents are those we named to parent our children should we become unable to. But we arent religous.
Danesmommy1
by Grammar Enthusiast on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:12 PM
My brother and sister are DS's godparents. The accepted their roles at his christening. They're very much aware of their duties to DS.
thenameshailie
by Emerald Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM
It isn't a part of my culture
bellawomen
by Summer on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:13 PM

My son has a "godmother" who is my best friend.  We are not religious, but she is the queen of religious knowledge.  For me, it is just some words, but for her it means that she can be someone for him to come to if he has questions about religion.  He is definitely interested in religion, but is confused what he believes.  He doesn't believe there is a "God" like "everyone else thinks," however doesn't think there is nothing.  He is pretty much agnostic, but I am not about to place a label on him.  He will figure out things on his own.

Denecia
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
I use the term godfather loosely when referring to my children's godfather. We are not religious. To us their godfather is the person that will care for them if anything was to happen. If he marries the girl he is currently with I fully intend on asking her to be their godmother.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Do you understand Christianity does not get to own words? The secular definition of god parent is a person who takes a personal interest In the childs upbringing and would be named the custodian of the child if the parents died. Why do you believe a religion gets to own a word? Marriage... Now godparent. Lol
nellyoleson
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:15 PM

That's how I understand it in my faith.  My oldest's godparents would never be named her guardians.  This reminds me...my youngest still needs to get baptized before my mother has a coronary over it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)