Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maybe a stupid question?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM
  • 23 Replies
Can a cop pull you over for texting and driving if you are actually just using your gps and actually just peeking at your phone for when to turn?
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MilkLover0203
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM
Your phone isn't suooosed to be in your hand at all. I'm sure they'd suggest setting your destination beforehand.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:01 PM

In that instance, I would say a cop could pull you over for "distracted driving."  It wouldn't matter if it were your phone or your GPS, you weren't giving the road your full attention.  

GLO682
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM

He can pull you over for anything, im sure most cops would just let you go unless you were being careless.

yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:02 PM
Well yeah I always set mine before hand then its in my lap, not holding it while I drive but I'll look at it every once in awhile to see how many miles til my next tirn.

Quoting MilkLover0203: Your phone isn't suooosed to be in your hand at all. I'm sure they'd suggest setting your destination beforehand.
momasaurus420
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Sure can. Now if your end up with a ticket is up to them...it may look like your texting but he doesn't know Soooooo
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I'm sure they can. Your phone shouldn't be in your hand at all, the point is that when you're looking at the screen, you're not looking at the road.

notjstasocermom
by Sapphire Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Yes
yayasdaughter
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:03 PM
Kinda sucks, because gps is definitely needed in some cases.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

In that instance, I would say a cop could pull you over for "distracted driving."  It wouldn't matter if it were your phone or your GPS, you weren't giving the road your full attention.  

cranio-mama
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:04 PM

They don't know that is what you are doing, they just see you messing with your phone.  They will pull your phone records, or you will be written the ticket and have to fight it in court.

My sister was ticketed for this, had to take her phone records to court. She use the time on the ticket to show she was not on her phone. It was dropped, but she was given the warning that she should have a window mount for her phone so it is hands free.

CrimsonNGrey
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 4:07 PM
Buy an actual GPS that you install on your dash. Problem solved.

Quoting yayasdaughter: Kinda sucks, because gps is definitely needed in some cases.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)