Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School uses sound of gunfire during Intruder drill

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 24 Replies
I just read this and was wondering what the women here thought. http://www.wfmj.com/story/2697729/champion-schools-safety-drill-includes-blank-gunfire
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM
I think the page was unavailable.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Its sad to me but I see why they do it. Its preparing the kids fully for everything that might happen in the drill. At my sons school someone sneaks down the halls and shakes random doors. they do that so the kids will know to be quiet if that were to really happen. 

BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:25 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont believe the gunfire noises are necessary at all.
mrsmoonbeam
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM
I know let me see if I can fix the link

Quoting Anonymous 1: I think the page was unavailable.

invisibleme
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
smvrn20
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM
The fact that this is an issue, just makes me that much happier than I have an other option for where I can raise my child. Gun drills, in schools, really? It's obviously needed in this country, but ridiculous that it's something that happens so frequently.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM
My daughter's old school did the gun fire sounds too. The also had people outside in the hallways screaming, shaking and pounding the doors or the classrooms, etc. The have the police walk down the hallways screaming into the mégaphone. Everything that would happen in a RL situation. It scared my daughter the first time but she said her teacher just told them to close their eyes and that he hummed to them the whole time.
Yariol987
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Times are changing, children aren't safe anywhere they go including schools. So I understand why they're doing it. I'd rather my kid be prepared and know what to do in case something IRL did happen.
gilbertgrl627
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I've heard about schools doing that, and I'm on the fence. One on hand, I don't like doing it and causing the kids to freak out about it. On the other hand, knowing what gunfire sounds like might be beneficial, and the kids will know what it sounds like and won't be so shocked (possibly) if it ever happens.

I've heard of schools even having people come in dressed up like bad guys. I don't believe our school does that. We do have drills, but nothing like either of those things.

smurfette1903
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:34 PM
Sadly it is necessary. They have people beat and shake the doors as well as use gunfire sounds. They want to make it as real as possible so if it ever really happens, the kids are prepared.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)